The regional district of Deggendorf covers an area of 77.21 km² and has a population of almost 35,000 when including towns such as Osterhofen and Plattling. The city itself is 314m above sea level.
The earliest traces of settlement in the area are found near the Danube, about 8,000 years ago. Both Bronze Age and Celtic era archeological finds indicate continuous habitation through the years. Henry II, Holy Roman Emperor established in 1002 his supremacy over the area.
Deggendorf was the site of a displaced persons camp for Jewish refugees after World War II. It housed approximately 2,000 refugees, who created a cultural center that included two newspapers, the Deggendorf Center Review and Cum Ojfboj, theater group, synagogue, mikvah, kosher kitchen, and more. The camp even issued its own currency known as the Deggendorf Dollar. Many of the camp's residents were survivors of the concentration camp at Theresienstadt near Terezín. The camp closed on June 15, 1949.
Munich Airport is 110 km along the A92 from Deggendorf.
Direct trains from Munich Hbf to Plattling, change there for the shuttle service to Deggendorf (one train in each direction per hour).
A few Danube cruise ships stop at the town (although many just pass by). There is also a commercial harbour. There are no ferry transport services.
- The Danube Cycleway
- Volksfest Plattling: 14–18 June 2017. Beer tent and rides (date needs updating)
- 1 Hotel Donauhof, Hafenstr. 1, ☏ . With restaurant
- 2 Hotel Burgwirt, Deggendorfer Str. 7, Natternberg, ☏ . With restaurant
- 3 NH Deggendorf, Edlmairstraße 4, ☏ .