Del Mar is a small seaside town in the north of San Diego County in Southern California. It has a Bavarian style village and the prettiest beach in California next to Carmel, dotted with old cypresses and clean, light sand, along with views up the coast to Orange County and down the coast to La Jolla.
Travelling by car, Del Mar is just off Interstate 5, 30 km north of San Diego.
While both Amtrak and commuter Coaster trains pass by Del Mar, there has not been a station in the city for more than two decades. Instead trains call at nearby Solana Beach, three kilometres north of Del Mar.
- 1 Del Mar Race Track. Thoroughbred horse racing venue with season running in July and August. Located at the Via De La Valle exit off the I-5. Other events during off season.
- Holiday of Lights. At the Del Mar Fairgrounds in December
- 1 San Diego County Fair. San Diego Fair running from June to early July. Other events in off season.
- 1 Del Mar Plaza, 1555 Camino Del Mar, ☏ . With three levels each opening to ocean-view balconies, Del Mar Plaza maximizes its scenic setting on the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean. A lifestyle center offering a mix of high-end shopping and dining. With 22 distinctive stores and boutiques, visitors can shop for designer clothing and shoes, fine jewelry, artwork, and home décor. For the food-minded, visitors can relax at one of the plaza’s nine restaurants of various cuisines. Services such as a food market, hair salons, spa, dry cleaners, financial and realty are also available. Most importantly, more than 160,000 sq. ft. of public space is incorporated with comfortable seating and panoramic ocean views.
- 1 Pacifica Del Mar, 1555 Camino Del Mar, ☏ . Seafood.
- 2 Bistro 39, 3939 Ocean Bluff Ave, ☏ . Delicious eclectic cuisine
- 1 Hotel Indigo San Diego Del Mar, 710 Camino Del Mar, ☏ .
- 2 Clarion Del Mar Inn, 720 Camino Del Mar, toll-free: . Classy boutique hotel set in picturesque seaside village (rooms with ocean, garden and pool view) located in the seaside village of Del Mar, within walking distance to beaches.
- 3 Hilton Del Mar, 15575 Jimmy Durante Blvd (located across from the Del Mar Racetrack), ☏ .
- 4 Homewood Suites by Hilton, 11025 Vista Sorrento Parkway, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. An all-suite hotel with fully-equipped kitchens. Complimentary hot breakfast daily, dinner with beer and wine Monday-Thursday, high-speed Internet, and shuttle service within 5 miles.
- 5 L’Auberge Del Mar Resort & Spa, 1540 Camino Del Mar, ☏ , toll-free: . This spa resort is located one block from the beach. The resort offers championship golf courses, recreational activities, luxury spa, meeting & event facilities and fine dining at J. Taylor’s Restaurant.
- 6 San Diego Marriott Del Mar, 11966 El Camino Real, ☏ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: noon.
|Routes through Del Mar|
|Santa Ana ← Solana Beach ←||N S||→ San Diego → Tijuana|