Diamantina is a colonial city in Minas Gerais, Brazil. Its 17th-century streets and buildings are witnesses to the country's diamond and gold digging ages, and its historic center has been listed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
- Belo Horizonte - 297 Km (180 mi)
- Rio de Janeiro - 732 Km (450 mi)
- Brasília - 724 Km (450 mi)
- São Paulo - 881 Km (550 mi)
The bus station (rodoviária) is at Largo Dom João, 134. (38) 3531-9176. There are frequent buses from Belo Horizonte by companies São Geraldo and Pássaro Verde (websites in Portuguese only). There is also one daily arrival from São Paulo.
- Capela Imperial do Amparo, Rua do Amparo. Tu-Sa 9AM-noon and 2PM-6PM, Su 8AM-noon. Construction on this chapel began in 1773 and stretched over the next 4 decades. R$1.
- Casa de Juscelino, Rua São Francisco 241, ☏ . This former residence of ex-president Juscelino Kubitschek houses a museum dedicated to his life.
- Casarão do Fórum. One of the most important pieces of colonial architecture, this structure was built as a residence, and later used as a meeting hall for the city council.
- Diamond Museum (Museu do Diamante), Rua Direita 14, ☏ . Holds a collection of artifacts from the area's colonial diamond-mining days.
- Igreja do Bonfim, Rua do Bonfim. Completed sometime before 1771. R$1.
- Igreja das Mercês, Rua das Mercês. M-F 1PM-5PM, Sa Su 8AM-11AM and noon-5PM. Completed in 1784, this church still holds mass on the fourth Saturday of the month at 5PM. R$1.
- Igreja da Nossa Senhora do Carmo, Rua do Carmo. Tu-Sa 8AM-noon and 2PM-6PM, Su 8AM-noon. R$2.
- Igreja São Francisco, Rua São Francisco. Built by the Franciscans in the early 1770s. The interior is being restored.
- Watch the Vesperatas - open shows of traditional music bands, a large event that takes place on the colonial Quitanda street twice a month (from April to October).
- Al-Árabe, ☏ . Praça Dr. Prado, 124.
- O Garimpeiro, Av. da Saudade, 265, ☏ .
- Trattoria La Dolce Vita, Rua Vieira Coutro, 232, ☏ .
- Espaço B Café, ☏ . Beco da Tecla, 31.
- Pousada do Garimpo, Av. da Saudade, 265, ☏ .
- Pouso da Chica, Rua Macau de Cima, 115, ☏ .
- Tijuco, Rua Macau do Meio, 211, ☏ .
- Pouso da Chica, Rua Macau de Cima, 115, ☏ . Check-in: noon, check-out: noon.
- Biribiri - A well preserved if tiny 19th-century industrial village, 15km from the city.