Dmitrov was founded in 1154 by Yury Dolgoruky (Yury Long-hand) at the site where his son Vsevolod the Big Nest was born. Its name is derived from Vsevolod's patron saint St. Demetrius. It was given town rights in 1374. During the early 16th century Dmitrov flourished and the Assumption Cathedral in the kremlin and the monastery cathedral of Sts. Boris and Gleb were constructed. However, in 1569 the city was seized by the secret police "Oprichnina" and went into a decline, which was further accelerated during the "Time of Troubles", when the city was sacked by Polish troops. The city was on the frontier during both the Napoleonic wars and World War II (known as the first and second great patriotic wars in Russia). The renowned Russian anarchist Piotr Kropotkin resided in the city between the Russian revolution in 1917 and his death in 1921. During the 1930s the Moscow channel was constructed, passing through the western part of Dmitrov.
- 1 [dead link] Dmitrov Tourist Information Centre (Туристско-Информационного Центра), Professionalnaya St., 1 A / Torgovaya pl. (Exit the Kreml through the wooden gate, thereby entering Torgovaya square. Look to the right for a small white and brown building with an "i" on it), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dmitrov city center is rather small and walkable.
- 1 The Sts. Boris and Gleb's Monastery (Борисоглебский мужской монастырь), ul. Minina, 4, ☏ . An old male monastery with a beautiful church, dedicated to the first Russian saints Boris and Gleb. Free.
- 2 Dmitrov Frog Museum, ul. Kropotkinskaya, 67к1, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-19:00 daily. As the city is surrounded by wetlands this unusual museum celebrates Dmitrov by exhibiting all types of frog-related objects. Free.
- 3 The Dmitrov Kreml Museum/Dmitrov Regional Museum (Muzey-zapovednik "Dmitrovskiy kreml"/Музей-заповедник "Дмитровский кремль"), ul. Zagorskaya, 17, ☏ . W-S 09:00-17:00. The city museum showcases the history of Dmitrov with exibitions regarding the great patriotic wars and the construction of the Moscow channel. Despite its name it is not located inside the Kremlin. 150 руб.
- 4 The House Museum of P.A. Kropotkin (Dom-muzey P.A.Kropotkina/Дом-музей П.А.Кропоткина), ул. Кропоткинская, д. 95. The house where the renowned Russian anarchist Peter Kropotkin lived between the Russian revolution in 1917 until his death in 1921 is now a personal museum dedicated to him. The upper floor exhibits a museum of biology and geology. 50 руб.
The kremlin itself consist of a several meters high earth rampart with the wooden "Nikolskiye" gate facing the north west.
- 5 The Assumption Cathedral (Uspenskiy sobor/Успенский собор), Istoricheskaya pl., 11. Free.
- 6 Elizabethan church (Елизаветинская церковь), Sovetskaya pl., 5.
- 1 Extreme Park (Парк Экстрим), Professionalnaya ul., 25, ☏ . 08:00-22:00 daily. A 4000 square meter park with activities such as trampolines, roler skates and a stage for concerts
- 1 MegaFon (МегаФон), ul. Zagorskaya 30A-36A (South of the Kremlin). 09-21 daily. A long shopping mall in the city centre.
- 2 Tsentr (Центр), ul. Zagorskaya, 22 (South-west of the Kremlin). 10-22 daily. Another centrally located shopping mall.
The "Tsentr" shopping mall contains several fast food restaurant chains, such as McDonalds, KFC and Kroshka Kartoshka.
- 1 Brodvey (Бродвей), Kropotkinskaya ul., 75а, ☏ . Su-Th 12:00-00:00, F Sa 12:00-01:00. Nice restaurant with a view of the Kremlin.
- 2 Pizzeria D'Miro (Пиццерия Д'Миро), Sovetskaya ul., 1, ☏ .
- 3 Pronto (Пронто), Professionalnaya ul., 6, стр 1, ☏ .
- 1 Four Crowns Hotel (Четыре короны), Liry Nikolskoy ul., 7, ☏ .
- 2 Gostinitsa Kristall (Кристалл), Professionalnaya ul., 28, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel Princess Frog, Professionalnaya st., 23, ☏ .
- Moscow - The capital of Russia and one of the greatest metropolises in the world awaits only an hour and a half away by train.
- Sergiev Posad - A large monastery and one of the most sacred places in Russian orthodoxy is about an hours drive to the east.
- Dubna - At the shores of the river Volga this center of Soviet nuclear physics is about an hour away by train or car.
- Klin - A small city best known as the former residence of Pyotr Ilich Tchaikovsky. An hour away by car.
|Routes through Dmitrov|
|Moscow ← Iksha ←||S N||→ Dubna → Savyolovo|