Dombivli, a town in Kalyan tahsil is located at a distance of 20 km from Thane and 6 km from Kalyan and is an important railway station on the Central Railway. It is a fast growing town and its vicinity to Mumbai and Thane and the availability of local train services from the place has given it the position of the suburb of Mumbai. Many of those employed in Bombay find their residence in Dombivli.
Rail Route: Any fast/slow train extending beyond Thane would stop at Dombivli. It would take you approx. 40 minutess in a fast train from CST to reach Dombivli. Road Route: While coming from the western suburbs, the best route is powai- airoli -shilphata. The journey would take max 1 hourr 30 minutes
From the Western suburbs, you can take one of the below routes:
1. On the Western Express Highway, from Jogeshwari take the Jogeshwari-Vikroli Link Road (JVLR). Continue right on to the Eastern Express Highway. Take a left to head towards Mulund. You can now drive along the Eastern Express Highway, cross the toll plaza at Mulund E and enter Thane. Stick to the same highway which passes through the outskirts of Thane and turns right, heading out of the city onto the Thane - Bhiwandi (Nashik) bypass road. Drive straight on till you reach Kalyan. Enter Kalyan and keep to the same road till you should reach Dombivli.
2. Follow the above route till you reach the Eastern Express Highway. On turning left to head towards Mulund, you can keep on the left and then take the right from under the flyover bridge. This road will take you to the Airoli toll plaza. Drive through Airoli to reach the Thane - Belapur road. Take a right and head towards Belapur/Vashi. Immediately after you pass the Ghansoli railway station on your right, there's an exit on the left for Mahape Naka / Sheel Phata. Take this exit and drive on to Sheel Phata / Dombivli.
3. Take the Western Express Highway all the way to past Dahisar. After the Dahisar Toll Plaza, you should find a major crossing where a road branches off to the right. This is the Ghodbunder road that will take you to Thane. On entering the outskirts of Thane, from the Majiwade naka you should turn left to join the Thane - Bhiwandi (Nashik) bypass road.
If you don't mind a little exercise to the limbs, most of the places are a walkable distance within the city. You can also take an auto rikshaw if you want to travel longer distances. Keep in mind though, that the fares are not computed based on the distance, but fixed in advance. The minimum fare as of today is Rs. 14/- Buses ply only on certain fixed routes, so if you are out for sightseeing, they may not be much use.
Ganapati Temple; Reti Bandar..have a nice sunset evening here. MIDC ground (nice place to sit and chat)
- Walk on Phadke road on a sunday evening (Best on Diwali morning). On Diwali mornings you will find an ants space here. It is so crowded that you would think of it as some morcha...every bylane also will be crowded. Girls and Boys would be there in their best attire... Now they have also started some DJ/Dance program. Youth of all ages come over here...and they come from places... Though you would think that moving in the rush is irritating...its a fun in itself...as you would end up suddenly meeting a long last childhood school friend
- A must see, Gudhi Pawdwa celebration by Ganesh Mandir Sansthan which started tradition of celebration of new year according to Marathi calendar all over the world.
- A must see, is the Ayyapa Temple Celebrations at Nehru Maidan, held 2nd or 3rd weekend of December
- A must see is the Utsav mela which is again held in December
- The visarjan procession of the Tilak Nagar Ganesh Utsav Mandal.
- If you travel as long as the Sheel Phata, you can visit the Dutta mandir & Khidkaleshwar Mandir there.
- Watch the best movies in Pooja, Madhuban in Dombivli (East) and Gopi Cine Mall in Dombivli (West)
- Kelkar Road is the best for shopping, though it's a bit pricey.
- Go for a ride to MIDC and out from there to Shilphata...
You can buy saris and clothes at cheaper rates than in Dadar or Mumbai. Along the station road there are many shops selling branded as well as local labels.
At the char rasta, you can visit Phadke Watch Centre for branded watches and glasses (I mean sunglasses!) n specially monday market for cheapest goods in every streets near station
- topllers/ Dominos/ Smoking Joes for a pizza, chatpata chat at almost every street, amul pav bhajji, ambika, modern cafe, legend...........Thakur wada paav
- Modern Cafe - Nice for evening coffee or vegetarian dinner on Saturday/Sunday night.
- Gugils or Kokan Ratna - On the way towards shiphata, very nice to have dinner, especially having open space dinner
- At night on char rasta or in MIDC to have a nice ice-cream or coconut ice-cream with family member
Kokan King Family Garden Restaurant & Bar at Kalyan-Shill Road, Dombivli-E. Konkan King is a good place. It also has resort and waterpark to chill out with your family and friends. In season, u can enjoy boating there with mini train for your children, bird sanctuary and lots of amusement games for your children.
Kokan king is a Large a very Decent & Excellent Place to have a Family Drink & Dine. Excellent Staffs, Manager. Excellent Food, Cocktails, Mocktails & Service is the speciality. Specialist in Chicken Handi and fresh Sea food.
You can grab some vadapav's in late nights till early mornings just ouside the eastern side of the railway station just in case of emergency.Transportation no issues,available 24*7.
Gugiles isthe one near to shilfata road, Dombivli E. good place to have dinner with family. specially for seafood eaters.