- 1 Dornbirn Tourismus & Stadtmarketing (Tourist Information), Rathausplatz 1a, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 09:00-18:00, Sa 09:00-12:00. Can offer advice for accommodation, sightseeing, and restaurants.
The airport shuttle bus from Friedrichshafen stops at the Messepark on the outskirts of town.
- 1 Hauptbahnhof Dornbirn (Dornbirn Main Train Station), Eisenbahnlinie 7, ☏ . Ticket counter: M-F 06:45-19:00, Sa Su 7:30-19:00; ticket automats: 24hr. Some intercity trains running through Austria stop in Dornbirn; the most frequent rail connections are via Bregenz and Feldkirch. Use ÖBB's SCOTTY to look up train information online. Storage lockers available.
- 2 Bahnhof Dornbirn-Schoren (Dornbirn-Schoren Train Station), Höchsterstraße. Ticket automats: 24hr. uburban trains.
- 3 Bahnhof Hatlerdorf (Hatlerdorf Train Station), Bahngasse. Ticket automats: 24hr. uburban trains.
- 4 Bahnhof Haselstauden (Haselstauden Train Station), Bachgasse. Ticket automats: 24hr. uburban trains.
Dornbirn is just a few kilometres south of Bregenz and can be reached from the north or south via the A14 expressway.
From the main station, it is only a 5-minute walk to the city centre, which is fairly small. However, many attractions and museums are outside and you might want to take a bus.
Dornbirn has a great public transport considering its relatively small size. Nine Stadtbus lines operate inside the city and several Landbus lines connect Dornbirn with neighbouring towns. A comprehensive route map for both services can be downloaded here.
- 5 Stadtbus (City bus), Eisenbahnlinie 7 (in front of the main train station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Customer service: M-F 07:00-19:00, Sa 08:00-12:00. All routes also run a night bus (Nachtbus) on Friday and Saturday nights as well as the eves of holidays. Dogs are permitted on board if muzzled and leashed. Schedules for all routes can be downloaded here. Single trip €1.50 (adults), day ticket €2.70, week ticket €10.50, month ticket €21; children under 14 ride for half-price, rounded up to the nearest €.10.
- Landbus Unterland, Eisenbahnlinie 7 (in front of the main train station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Customer service: M-F 07:00-19:00, Sa 08:00-12:00. A complete list of all schedules to download is available here. Price depends on zone and distance travelled.
- 1 Church of St Martin (Stadtpfarrkirche St. Martin), Marktplatz 1. The foundations date to the 13th century. The current structure was built in 1840 in the neoclassical style.
- 2 Rolls-Royce Museum, Gütle 11a (take Stadtbus 5), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Apr-Oct T-Su and holidays 10:00-18:00, Nov-Mar T-Su and holidays 10:00-17:00; closed 24-26 Dec, 1 Jan, 07-31 Jan. This museum is the most extensive of its kind in the world. Founded in 1999, it houses more than 1000 exhibits, including several dozen classic vehicles, in a space of about 3000m². The museum also organises special rides. €9 (adults), €4.50 (children 6-16), €10 (photography permit).
- 3 Inatura Erlebnis Naturschau, Jahngasse 19 (Stadtbus 7 direction Hatler Kirche; or Stadtbus 1 direction Messepark, Steggasse exit), ☏ . Daily 10:00-18:00; closed 25 Dec and 1 Jan. This historic factory has been modernised and now houses a science center, with interactive exhibits focusing on the natural sciences. Also has a gift shop, library, and restaurant. €11 (adults), @9.30 (seniors/students), €5.50 (children 6-15).
- 4 Kunstraum Dornbirn, Jahngasse 9 (Montagehalle inatura), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Apr-Oct T-Su 10:00-18:00. Showcases art installations created by artists-in-residence. €3.30 (adults), €5.50 (families), free (children under 19, students).
- 5 Flatz Museum, Marktstrasse 33 (former Natural History Museum). F 15:00-17:00, Sa 11:00-17:00, and by appt. A small two-room museum exhibiting pieces by the provocative Dornbirn-born performance artist Wolfgang Flatz. €3.50 (adults), €2.50 (concessions), €1 (children 6-15).
During Advent a large Advent market is held in the market place and surrounding streets and squares. In the evenings the Glühwein stands stay open and the atmosphere gets quite merry and fun. Another great time of year is Fasching, the run up to Lent, when there are often parades and bands in the market place.
- 1 Spielboden (Rhombergs factory), Färbergasse 15, Rohrbach (Stadtbus 4/5/6), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. For cultural events (art-house films, music, dance) the Spielboden is worth a visit. Tickets for events are sold at the tourist information office and all Raiffeisenbank branches, as well as online.
- 2 Stadtbad (indoor swimming pool), Schillerstraße 18, ☏ . Pool: T 07:00-21:00, W-Sa 09:00-21:00, Su and holidays 09:00-18:00; ladies sauna: M 17:00-22:00, Th 14:00-22:00; mens' sauna: F 14:00-18:00; mixed sauna: Tu W 14:00-22:00, F 18:00-22:00. Worth a visit for the modern architecture alone. The facilities are brand new – there are 3 pools, 2 diving boards and a water flume as well as a sauna. 2 hrs: €5.90 (adults), €5 (concessions), €3 (children); 3 hrs: €7.50 (adults), €6.50 (concessions), €3.90 (children).
Most of the land comprising the Dornbirn district is mountainous. The well-developed trails offer numerous hiking opportunities, not only for short outings with children, but also for experienced mountain climbers with a head for heights. The tourist information has free hiking maps, and an interactive map is available online.
Go for a short hike and visit the Scouts' (Pfadfindergruppe) 3 camp site. Offers great views over the Hatlerdorf district of Dornbirn.
For an interesting trek, take Stadtbus 5 to Rappenloch stop, and then head straight into the 4 Rappenlochschlucht (30mins), one of the largest 'chines' (a type of gorge) in central Europe. Pass the 5 Staufensee, continue to 6 Alplochschlucht and then up to the 7 Kirchle, a great natural halfcave, impressive to look at. Continuing toward 8 Ebnit, you will see strange geologic formations on side. Two cheap restaurants or at least Reststations are on that track. Ebnit itself is a recreational area and is likewise an excellent starting point for trekking.
9 Karren is one of the mountains which has good views of Vorarlberg. In good weather the 976m mountain offers views extending to the Swiss Alps as well as to the Überlingen part of Lake Constance. The mountain top can be accessed via public transportation (Stadtbus 5, then Minibus 47 to Ebnit), as well as by 10 cable car (Seilbahn). The Panorama Restaurant is located at the top (see listing below). From this point a network of hiking trails can be accessed; a trail map (in German) for all trails including the Rappenloch (listed above) can be downloaded here.
Dornbirn has a lively city centre with a large pedestrian zone and many shops. If you can't find what you are looking for inside the city, there is also a large mall on the outskirts.
- Wochenmarkt (Farmers' Market), Marktplatz, ☏ . W Sa 08:00-12:00. There are stalls selling anything you could possibly desire; cheese and meat from small farms in the Bregenzerwald, socks, fresh bread, fruit and veg, organic beauty products, flowers... It's nice to spend a while wandering round it, and if you buy something you can be sure it's locally produced and therefore better for the regional economy. Everyone's a winner!
- 1 Messepark (Shopping Mall), Messestraße 2 (Landbus lines 50/52 or Stadtbus lines 1/4/8), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 09:00-19:30, F 09:00-21:00, Sa 08:30-18:00. A typical shopping mall with all the usual chain stores. Also has an Interspar grocery store (opens daily ½hr earlier).
- 1 Rotes Haus (Red House), Marktplatz 13, ☏ . Apr-Sep daily 11:30-24:00; Oct-Mar T-Su 11:30-14:00, 17:30-24:00. This wooden house dating from 1639 houses a well-regarded restaurant for traditional Austrian cuisine.
- 2 Zeitgenuss 21 Cafe, Martktstrasse 21, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 08:00-01:00, Su 14:00-22:00. This classy restaurant serves sushi. They also do a great selection of teas.
- 3 [dead link] Pizzeria Ristorante Paolo & Andrea, Riedgasse 20, ☏ . Daily 11:30-14:00, 17:00-24:00. Has great Italian Pizza. For take away every pizza and pasta dish is €6.
- 4 Panoramarestaurant Karren, Karren, Bergstation (Stadtbus 5 to Karrenseilbahn), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Breakfast buffet (reservation only) Sa Su and holidays 09:00-11:00; lunch M-F 11:30-16:00. Perches on the side of a mountain above town. They serve mainly good typically Austrian cuisine! You can see it from everywhere in the city. The view over the Rhine Valley and Lake Constance is stunning night and day and it's often sunny up there when it's foggy down below. They do a very good value cable car and meal combination ticket on weekday lunchtimes. Reservations can be made online. €13+/person (including cable car ticket).
On those warm summer nights it's great to go to the Marktplatz, the centre of all activity with a number of cosy cafés and more lively venues. Especially Thursdays and Fridays can be recommended.
- 1 Klappe 2, Marktstraße 2, ☏ . M-F 17:00-02:00; Sa 10:00-14:00, 19:30-02:00; Su 19:30-24:00. A movie-themed cafe bar a little further up the street.
- 2 Mr John's American Bar, Marktplatz 12 (in the Hirschenhaus opposite the church), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. T-Su 18:00-02:00. An upstairs bar in the corner where you can smoke a water pipe if you so wish.
- 3 7er Bar, Eisengasse 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. S-Th 17:00-01:00, Fr Sa 17:00-02:00. This is the true alternative scene, with live rock music and other events. They even sell beer! It's often packed and is a great place to have a quick drink or spend the entire evening.
- 4 Conrad Sohm, Boden 1 (Stadtbus 7, about 10min from the main train station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. An alternative music venue. Tickets to events can be purchased online here and here. On weekends there is a free shuttle bus which offers service from the main train station – Rathaus (Marktplatz) – Conrad Sohm and back (F Sa and holidays every 15min from 22:30 until closing; last bus leaves at 03:00).
- 5 Innauer, Marktstraße 33, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. T-Sa 17:00-01:00, kitchen 18:00-22:30, music 21:30-01:00. Has great drum'n'base and dance.
- 6 Tivoli Kellerbar (Tivoli Winebar), Riedgasse 8, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W-Su 19:00-01:00/2:00. A popular place to hang out.
- 1 Fairmotel, Wallenmahd 15, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Also offers long-stay apartments. Free wi-fi. €50+ including breakfast.
- 2 Harry's Home, Klostergasse 8, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Pets permitted for extra fee. €65+, breakfast €6-11.
- 3 [dead link] Hotel Hirschen, Haselstauderstraße 31, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00-18:00, earlier/later times by request, check-out: M-F 06:45-11:30, Su and holidays 07:30-11:30; late checkout up to 13:00 by request. Doubles/€67+ including breakfast.
- 4 Hotel Katharinenhof, Franz-Michael-Felder-Straße 2, ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Also offers holiday apartments. Free wi-fi in lobby, minimum stay 3 days. Also operates Palabra, a Spanish wine bar (M T F 18:00-) €64+ including breakfast.
- 5 Hotel Krone, Hatlerstraße 2, ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Also offers long-stay apartments and has a restaurant. €66+ including breakfast.
- 6 Martinspark Hotel, Mozartstraße 2 (5min walk from the train station), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Also offers long-stay holiday apartments. All rooms are nonsmoking with free wi-fi. There is an onsite restaurant and bar. €125+.
- 7 Four Points by Sheraton Panoramahaus Dornbirn, Messestrasse 1. The Four Points is located out of town by the A14 motorway, in the oval Panoramahaus tower, which sits atop the "Home of balance" fitness and wellness centre with an outdoor pool. On the hotel's top floor, the "Sky-Restaurant" and "Sky-Bar" offer excellent views over the city of Dornbirn and the surroundings. Some of the rooms on lower floors do overlook the neighbouring Messepark shopping centrum, which is far less spectacular. Rooms have varying categories, and their appointments and features belie the brand's humble character. Rack rates from €145 incl. breakfast.
|Routes through Dornbirn|
|Becomes ← Bregenz ←||N S||→ Feldkirch → Bludenz|
|Becomes ← Bregenz ←||N S||→ Feldkirch → Bludenz|