Drexel Hill is a city in Upper Darby, located southwest of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Drexel Hill is a small family friendly town. It has a rich history that goes back to when the country was founded. It is located very close to Center City Philadelphia and is easily accessed by public transportation in less than a half an hour. Many people may be under the impression that the only thing to do here is visit family but there are lots of fun activities!
The nearest airport to Drexel Hill is Philadelphia International airport, which is roughly 20 minutes away by car, and also accessible by public transportation.
Everywhere in Drexel Hill is reachable by car, but there are also public transportation options. One can take the bus or the trolley to travel not just through Drexel Hill but also to nearby towns such as Springfield, where one can visit the Springfield mall.
One of the historical sights to see in Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania is the Swedish Log Cabbin. The Swedish Log Cabbin is said to be the oldest home in the United States. It is believed to have been built by Swedish settlers as part of their "New Sweden" colony. It is assumed to have been built between 1638 and 1655, however the exact date is not known.
Another historical sight to see is the home of famous abolitionist Thomas Garrett. It is located on Garrett Road, Named for his family.
In Drexel Hill, one can do a variety of family friendly activities. One of the most popular activities is bowling. The most popular place to bowl in Drexel Hill is Playhouse Lanes, located at 3245 Garrett Road, Drexel Hill, PA 19026. Playhouse is kid friendly with its children's bumper bowling, as well as grown-up friendly with their full restaurant and fully stocked bar. It has a jukebox and a mini arcade, and some nights features glow in the dark bowling. It's a great idea if you need a fun corporate outing or to organize a children's birthday party.
Another great activity is to go to the local High School, Upper Darby High School, where there fantastic shows and concerts every weekend. The high school's Performing Arts Center hosts not just fantastic shows by students, but concerts, ballets, and in the summer award winning musicals performed by Upper Darby Summer Stage, a program recognized nationally for it's excellence.
If you are willing to get on the trolley, a wonderful nearby place to visit is the town of Media. Media has many restaurants and shopping. There is a Trader Joe's and an Iron Hill brewery. And the trolley runs right through the town and you can get off at any stop.
There are lots of places to shop in Drexel Hill. There are quaint antique shops and second hand stores where one can always find a fun Halloween costume. If you really want the American idea of a mall, The King of Prussia Mall is easily accessed by bus, and is extremely large and well known with tons of designer stores and places to eat. But, if you're looking to stay local, you can always go to the Springfield Mall, also accessible by bus, which is less than 20 minutes away. There are also nearby shopping centers such as the Springfield shopping center which has a fantastic store to find namebrand clothes for teens at a low used price called "Plato's Closet". There is also the Marple Crossroads Shopping center which has a DSW, Joanne Fabric, Petsmart, 5 below, and Marshalls. There is also an AMC movie theater located in the shopping center.
There are many places to eat in Drexel Hill. There is a range from McDonalds to respected Indian Restaurants. There are pizza places, bakeries, and quaint breakfast places. There are also plenty of grocery stores if you prefer to make your own food!
- 1 Hibernia Deli Coffee Shop, 3711 Garrett Rd, ☏ . This is a fantastic small family owned place to get breakfast. They have delicious eggs, and if you're hungry for dinner you should invest in their shepards pie. They also carry a wonderful selection of Irish candy bars, which can be difficult to find in Drexel Hill.
- 2 Ming Coffee Shop, 730 Burmont Rd, ☏ . Ming's has fantastic breakfast. Everyday you go in you can expect to see the owner Ming, making your breakfast. She is very friendly and always knows her regulars. She makes delicious pancakes and serves a wide variety of teas. She also makes spectacular freshly squeezed orange juice.
- 3 Cocco's Pizza Drexel Hill, 3405 Garrett Rd, ☏ . This pizza place has the best pizza in all of Drexel Hill. They are very well priced, have friendly service, and always serve you in a timely manner. They offer not just pizza but cheesesteaks, salds, wraps, sandwiches, french fries, and wings. There is always a place to sit in their dining room. During the holidays their store is festively decorated. And best of all they are located right next to Playhouse Lanes so you have a fun family friendly night practically planned for you!
- 4 Brother's Pizza, 700 Burmont Rd, ☏ .
- 5 Great Wall Chinese Restaurant, 1001 Pontiac Rd, ☏ .
- 6 Casey's Restaurant, 812 N Lansdowne Ave. A favorite place amongst the locals to hang out and eat or drink. There are pool tables and a bar that has televisions and plays all the games that are on. It is located down the street from the high school and is a good place to go if you're looking for dinner after a show.
- 7 Anthony's Ristorante, 4990 State Rd Ste 3. A nice Italian restaurant that often caters parties and holds receptions but is also a nice place to get dinner.
- 8 Perkins Family Restaurant, 706 N Lansdowne Ave, ☏ . Also right downt the street from the High School, this is a family friendly place to get dinner after a show. Their food is always very consistent.
- 9 Masami Japanese, 1260 Township Line Rd, ☏ . Authentic Japanese food.
- 10 Szechuan Hill Chinese Restaurant, 1238 Township Line Rd, ☏ . A very nice restaurant with lovely atmosphere for a dinner.
- 11 Shere-E-Punjab Indian Cuisine, 5059 State Rd, ☏ . The newest and most popular new restaurant in Drexel Hill! This is a casual dining restaurant that offers high quality food. Their food is fantastically prepared and authentic. It has a wonderful atmosphere and is romantic place for a date night. It is increasing in popularity so make sure to make reservations today! It has been featured in local magazines and papers all with rave reviews!
- 1 Gambol's Cafe, 3722 Garrett Rd, ☏ .
A Holiday Inn & Suites is open in the Drexelbrook area as of 2019.
If you wish to access Philadelphia, it is very easy to take either of the trolleys that run through the Drexel Hill Junction into the 69th street station, where you can easily access the subway to get to anywhere in the city.