Dullstroom is a fishing village of 560 people (2011) in Mpumalanga province high up in the Steenkampsberg Mountain Range. Along with Barkly East and Underberg, it is one of South Africa's premier flyfishing destinations.
Dullstroom lies on the Highveld plateau, and its climate is very different from the surrounding areas. It sits at the foot of De Berg, the highest point in the province at 2,332 metres (7,651 feet).
The town features the highest railway station in South Africa at 2,077 metres (6,814 feet) above sea level.
Directions from Johannesburg/Pretoria.Take the N4 from Johannesburg to Mbombela. Turn left at the Belfast turnoff. Turn right at the 5th Stop sign (Toyota Garage) onto the R540. Continue approx 35 km to Dullstroom.
The town's radius is only about 4.5 km, so it is easy to walk around the village once there. There are no transport systems in the village (Feb 2020), but there are 2 bus routes that pass through the village:
- The Lowveld Link, ☏ .
- The Bushveld Link, ☏ .
Beautiful scenery, wild flowers, fauna and flora, birds including the Crowned Crane, Blue Crane and Wattled Crane.
A Central Reservations office has been in operation for over 10 years, selecting and enlisting a variety of sleeping options for visitors. With a database of over 120 venues, options vary from self-catering farm cottages to luxury lodges and hotels. Dullstroom Reservations, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Fishing. Trout fishing is the main attraction.
- 1 Dullstroom Bird of Prey and Rehabilitation Centre, Just off the R540, 9km outside Dullstroom towards Lydenburg, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Flying displays at 10:30AM and 2:30PM daily.
- Arts and Crafts @icreate
- Bergen Cheese factory - Tonteldoos
- A variety of retail shops offer country gifts, clothing, candles, art, weaving, books, antiques, Christmas goodies, homemade sweets, and a large range of fly-fishing tackle.
- 2 Dullstroom Nature Reserve (take Janson St northwest out of Dullstroom). A place to walk or bike among rolling hills, or do some fishing.
- 3 Verloren Valei Nature Reserve (about 8 km north of Dullstroom), ☏ . 06:30-18:00 daily. A place to see cranes and rolling grasslands and wildflowers of the Steenkampsberg Plateau, though a high clearance vehicle is probably needed on the park roads. A Ramsar wetland. R48.
- Inspired by the Bavarian Oktoberfest, the annual Ducktober Beer Fest is a beer, food and music festival held in Dullstroom and is the highest beer festival in Southern Africa, at 2100m above sea level.
- The Dullstroom Winter Festival is held every July and attracts people from all over South Africa. Music by local South African artists is the main attraction. The festival also hosts a kids' zone for young visitors, food stalls, artist exhibits, and whisky pairings stands.
- The Dimitrov Art Gallery is run by the well established artist Branko Dimitrov who also does on site commissioned portrait paintings.
- The Robert Badenhorst Art Gallery sells South African art from paintings to sculptures.
- Wild about Whisky, ☏ , email@example.com.
- The Anvil Ale Brewery on the outskirts of town is a microbrewery that produces a Blonde Ale, a Pale Ale and a Baltic Porter.
- 1 Dullstroom Backpackers, 389 Gunning St, ☏ . Intimate, opportunities to meet and plan excursions, etc. Free wifi and netflix. R250-481.