Dunedin is a city in Pinellas County.
Dunedin (/dəˈniːdɨn/) is a city in Pinellas County, Florida, United States. The name comes from Dùn Èideann, the Scottish Gaelic name for Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. As of 2010, the population recorded by the U.S. Census Bureau is 35,321. Dunedin is home to several beaches, including Dunedin Causeway, Honeymoon Island, and Caladesi Island State Park, which is consistently rated among the best beaches in the world. Dunedin is one of the few open waterfront communities from Sarasota to Cedar Key where buildings do not completely obscure the view of the Intercoastal Waterway and the Gulf of Mexico beyond; a 1-mile stretch of Edgewater Drive (also known as Alternate US 19) south of downtown offers views of St. Joseph Sound, Clearwater Beach, and Caladesi Island. Downtown Clearwater and Clearwater Beach are a 6-mile drive down Edgewater.
The quaint, but thriving downtown business district is striking in comparison to neighboring Florida communities for its absence of commercial signage and corporate franchise restaurants and retail stores. The Pinellas Trail, a 39-mile long bicycle and pedestrian trail that traverses all of Pinellas County, bisects downtown Dunedin. Bicyclists are a common sight in the business district.
Since 1977, Dunedin has been the spring training home of the Toronto Blue Jays, and of the class-A Minor League Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League. Dunedin is one of the smallest communities used by Major League spring training teams. Dunedin Stadium is next to the Dunedin Public Library, a few blocks south of downtown on Douglas Avenue, and two blocks east of Edgewater Drive.
- Pinellas Trail Walking - Bicycle Path
- Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority
- Walking: Dunedin is very pedestrian friendly, offering many shops and restaurants in the main downtown area.
- The Jolley Trolley runs once an hour on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only, A bit before the top of the hour It stops at trolley stop signs on Main Street, near Pioneer Park.
- Downtown Dunedin. Shop, eat, & drink like a local.
- Dunedin Historical Society.
- Fine Arts Center.
- 1 Honeymoon Island State Park, ☏ .
- 2 Caladesi Island State Park. A Florida State Park located on Caladesi Island, across St. Joseph Sound from Dunedin, Florida and north of Clearwater Beach. It is reachable by boat and ferry. Amenities include 3 miles of nature trail, a marina, picnic pavilions, bathhouses, a park concession and a beach. Recreational activities include fishing, shelling, kayaking, boating, hiking and nature studies. In 2005 it was listed as having the 4th best beach in the country, in 2006 and 2007 the 2nd best, and in 2008 the best beach in the United States. Originally part of a large barrier island, Caladesi Island and Honeymoon Island to the north were formed in 1921 when a hurricane created Hurricane Pass, splitting the larger island into two parts. Though still referred to as an island, Hurricane Elena filled Dunedin Pass in 1985, making Caladesi Island accessible by walking north from North Clearwater Beach.
- Municipal Marina.
- Dunedin Highlands Games. Scottish Heritage Games held in April.
- Celtic Festival. November
- Mardi Gras Festival. Downtown event, on Fat Tuesday.
- Dunedin Wines the Blues Festival. Downtown event in November.
- Downtown Dunedin, Main Street and Douglas Avenue. City-sponsored and non-profit events and news.
- Kelly's For Just About Anything.
- Flanagan's Irish Pub.
- Lonni's Original Sandwiches.
- Delco's Original Steaks & Hoagies.
- Serendipity Cafe, 664 Main Street, Dunedin, Florida. Tu-Th 8AM-3PM; F 8AM-3PM, 5PM-8PM; Sa 8AM-3PM; Su 10AM-2PM. Focusing on whole grains, organic fruits and veggies, and humanely raised antibiotic and hormone free meats. They are a dedicated gluten free facility.
- Dunedin Brewery, 937 Douglas Ave, ☏ . Florida's oldest microbrewery - craft beer, pub food, live music.
- Dunedin House of Beer, 927 A Broadway, ☏ .
- Best Western -Yacht Harbor Inn, 150 Marina Plaza, ☏ .
- Coconut Villas of Dunedin, ☏ .
- Holiday Inn Express, 975 Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Seaside Artisan Motel, 1064 Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Amberlee Motel, 1035 Broadway Street, ☏ .
- Palm Court Motel, 2090 Bayshore Boulevard, toll-free: .
- [dead link] Beso Del Sol Resort, 1420 Bayshore Boulevard, ☏ .
- Comfort Suites (Clearwater), 1941 Edgewater Drive (Just South of Downtown Dunedin), ☏ .
|Routes through Dunedin|
|Atlanta ← Palm Harbor ←||N S||→ Clearwater → Saint Petersburg|