Dunsmuir has always been tied to the railroad lines that still run through the city. Sitting near the top of a steep grade, the Central Pacific RR chose this location for a service facility and engine house for the helper engines that assisted in moving trains up and down the steep grade. A town grew near the facility, eventually becoming the city of Dunsmuir.
- Dunsmuir Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Center, 5915 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ , fax: .
- From Redding, take I-5 N.
- From Yreka, take I-5 S.
- From McCloud, take CA-89 W, then I-5 S to Dunsmuir.
- Amtrak - Coast Starlight, 5750 Sacramento Ave.. Midnight-1AM, 4AM-6AM. There is no ticket office in Dunsmuir. The Coast Starlight southbound stops at 12:35AM, northbound at 5:04AM.
There is so much scenery to see here, driving is not recommended save for when you really need to.
Walking is probably the best option for if you are just doing a day stop.
If you plan on spending enough time here, this option will give you enough time to enjoy the trails and scenery, but not put you behind schedule.
- The Third Wheel, 5824 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . Third Wheel rents
The Siskiyou County STAGE bus has several stops in Dunsmuir, as well as travelling to other towns and cities in the county.
- Tauhindauli Park (located under the 800-Foot Bridge (part of I-5) going over the Upper Sacramento River, just a bit north of Dunsmuir).
- Dunsmuir ArtWalk, ☏ . September. Artists showcase their work in downtown Dunsmuir.
- 1 Dunsmuir Botanical Gardens, 4841 Dunsmuir Ave (in Dunsmuir City Park), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Showcases the local native vegetation. Walking trails and fishing.
- Fishing. The upper Sacaramento River runs past Dunsmuir offering excellent wild trout fishing opportunities.
- 2 Mossbrae Falls (From Dunsmuir Ave., take a right on Scarlett Way and park on the other side of the tracks.). A 2.4 miles roundtrip hike will take you to this 150' wide, 50' tall waterfall.
- Mossbrae Music Festival, 4841 Dunsmuir Ave. (Dunsmuir City Park). July.
- Railroad Days. Father's Day Weekend. A three-day festival celebrating Dunsmuir's railroad heritage. Model Railroads, Parade, Lil Mr. & Mrs. Engineer Pageant, Kids' Fishing Derby, Diaper Derby, Softball Tournament, Food.
- Swimming Holes. The Sacaramento River in this area is full of slow moving areas that make ideal natural swimming holes. There are two right in town and several within 20 miles of the town.
- Train watching/Railfanning. Dunsmuir is an excellent location to see trains in action. Being located on the major north-south rail corridor in California, the town sees a lot of activity. There is also a yard and engine facility in town.
- 1 Boxcar Gallery, 5905 Sacramento Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Sa & Su: 11AM–4PM. Antiques, collectibles, art, and African artifacts.
- 2 Dunsmuir Rod Company, 5210 Florence Loop, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Open to the public by appointment only. Custom bamboo fly rods, bamboo rod building workshops, and fly fishing merchandise.
- 3 Ruddle Cottage Gallery (Jayne Bruck-Fryer), 5815 Sacramento Ave (I5 north of Redding 49 miles), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Daily. Recycling Queen of Dunsmuir:Owner/Artist: Jayne Bruck-Fryer, where everything is made by the artist. From donated and recycled materials, certified by the CIWMB for being 98% post consumer. Great Herb Garden and If you like mosaics, her Mosaic studio is beautiful, a fully packed gallery full of really invented copyrighted recycle gifts and art. No cameras and cells phones. If you catch Jayne when she's not too busy, she'll give you the tour and spend some time explaining what she does, her passion, and involve you in the story of her life and art. One of the most enjoyable stops on the Interstate 5 , going to North Mt Shasta, or South to Redding.
- 4 Ted Fay Fly Shop, 5732 Dunsmuir Ave, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Su-Th: 7AM-5PM; Fr & Sa: 7AM-6PM. Fly fishing supplies, fishing location advice.
- 5 Window Box Nursery, 5817 Sacramento Ave, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. March 15 through September 28. Bonsai plants, exotic connifers and rare perennials. Also has an art gallery. Bonsai workshops are scheduled throughout the year. See website for dates.
- All Aboard Espresso, 5345 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . M-Sa: 6:30AM-4PM; Su: 7AM-3PM.
- Brown Trout Café, 5841 Sacramento Ave., ☏ .
- Burger Barn, 5942 Dunsmuir Ave (Downtown, near Fire Station), ☏ . Fall/Winter Hours: Tuesday-Saturday 11-7PM (Closed month of January). Great Burgers, Fries and Shakes! Home of the famous "Barnbuster!" More than great burgers, offering Veggie Burgers, Chicken, Fish & Chips, Philly Cheesesteak, Onion Rings, Deli Sandwiches on freshly baked rolls, Soups, Corn Dogs, Chicken Nuggets and Great Old Fashioned Soft Serve Ice Cream. Friendly family owned restaurant, clean restrooms. A great all around eatery! Extended Summer Hours begin Mid-May–November!
- Cafe Maddalena, 5801 Sacramento Ave., ☏ . March 20 through New Year's Eve: Th-Su - 5PM-10PM. Mediterranean cuisine bistro featuring dishes from Spain, France, Italy, and North Africa. Reservations are suggested. $9-24.
- Cornerstone Bakery & Cafe, 5759 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . M: 7AM-3PM; Tu: CLOSED; W-Sa: 7AM-3PM; Su: 8AM-2PM.
- Hitching Post, 4917 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ .
- Micki's Better Burger, 4905 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . 50s themed diner featuring tacos, salads, hamburgers, banana splits, frosties, espressos, grilled hot dogs, and at least 12 different flavors of milk shakes.
- Pizza Factory, 5804 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . M-Th: 11AM-9PM; F-Sa: 11AM-10PM; Su: 12PM-9PM.
- Sengthong's Blue Sky Room, 5841 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . Th & Su: 5PM - 8PM. F-Sa: 5PM - 9PM. Vietnamese, Laotian & Thai Cuisine. Sengthong's also has an active music schedule ranging from county to blues to hip-hop. Thursdays are an 80s and 90s dance party starting at 9PM. Lunch: $8-10; Dinner: $12-16, Beer:$3-10; Martinis: $6-7.
- Acorn Inn, 4310 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cave Springs-Motel-Resort, 4727 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ , toll-free: . Cabins: $45-63; Motel: $54-79.
- Cedar Lodge Motel, 4201 Dunsmuir Ave, ☏ , , fax: , ✉ email@example.com.
- Dunsmuir Lodge, 6604 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ . Extra charge for pets. $74-144.
- Dunsmuir Spring Cottages, 5705 Shasta Ave., ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Historic cottages in downtown Dunsmuir. No smoking, call for pet policy. $99-129.
- Oak Tree Inn, 4000 Siskiyou Ave., ☏ .
- Railroad Park Resort, 100 Railroad Park Rd., ☏ . This resort caters to railfans with its caboose motel. All of the motel rooms are in retired railroad cabooses. The resort also has an RV park with both tent sites and full hookup RV sites. Motel: $115-125; Camping: $22-30.
- Rustic RV & Trailer Park, 30877 Crag View Dr., ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Traveler's Hotel, 5815 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ .
- Dunsmuir Branch Library, 5714 Dunsmuir Ave., ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Tu: 1:00-6PM; W: 1:00-8PM; Th: 1:00-6PM; F: Closed; Sa: 10AM-2PM; Su: Closed.
- Siskiyou Medical Group, 4309 Stagecoach Rd., ☏ . 24-hour medical clinic
- United Methodist Church (4303 Oak St.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
|Routes through Dunsmuir|
|Medford ← Mount Shasta ←||N S||→ Shasta Lake → Redding|