Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Climate chart (explanation)|
- See also: Alaska Marine Highway
The ferries of Alaska Marine Highway sail to Dutch Harbor between April and October. It's the westernmost point on the AMH, and as such Unalaska is the westernmost point in the Americas reachable by scheduled land and sea transportation.
- 1 Museum of the Aleutians, 314 Salmon Way, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00 am - 3:00 pm. Adults $7; Children under 12 $3: Under 3: free.
- 2 Aleutian World War II National Historic Area (Visitor Center located on the apron of the Dutch Harbor airport), ☏ . Year round, but May-October offer the best access. This site is the remains of one of four WWII era forts constructed to defend Dutch Harbor against a potential Japanese attack. The visitor center is free, however, a Land Use Permit must be obtained to visit the historic site on Mount Ballyhoo. Free.
- 3 Church of the Holy Ascension, West Broadway Ave., ☏ . The oldest Russian-built church still standing in the country. It was built in 1825 and then enlarged in 1894, when its floor plan was changed from to a pekov (the shape of a crucifix). On Broadway overlooking the bay, the church and its onion domes are a photographer's delight. The church contains almost 700 pieces of art, ranging from Russian Orthodox icons and books to the largest collection of 19th-century paintings in Alaska. The best time to view the church and its icons is at 18:00 on Saturday when staff members give an informal 30-minute tour just before service. Outside the church is a small graveyard, where the largest grave marker belongs to Baron Nicholas Zass. Born in 1825 in Archangel, Russia, he eventually became bishop of the Aleutian Islands and all of Alaska, before his death in 1882. Next door to the graveyard is the Bishop's House.
- 1 Amelia's Restaurant, ☏ . American cuisine.
- Peking Restaurant, 100 Gilman Rd, ☏ . Chinese food.
- 1 Grand Aleutian Hotel (Harbor View Inn), 498 Salmon Way, ☏ , toll-free: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.