Rent a car. There is not much public transportation besides the People Mover (Anchorage's bus service).
Drive up Eagle River Lp, to Skyline and up to the top for one of the best views in Alaska! The hike from the top of Skyline up to Mt. Baldy is steep but well worth it. You can see all of Anchorage below and Cook Inlet. Even Denali on a nice day.
- Haute Quarter Grill. Little expensive but incredible. Probably the best restaurant in Alaska (except maybe Simon and Seaforts in Anchorage). It looks like hole in the wall, so find the Shell station, it's right next door. Their Blue Cheese salad is superb!
- Piccolino's. Wonderful Italian Dining. Medium priced and very good.
- Bella Vista. Italian and also very good.
- Jalapenos. One of the better Anchorage-area Mexican restaurants. Medium Priced and nice and colorful inside.
- Tips. Most Eagle River residents make fun of Tips, but it's only one of two official "bars" in town. Right across the street is the only other one.