East Brunswick is a town of 48,000 people (2019) in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Transit buses have several stops in East Brunswick, connecting to New Brunswick and other places.
- Suburban Transit bus lines 400, (rush hour:) 500, 600 connect to and from New York City at the East Brunswick Transportation Center and the Tower Center.
East Brunswick can be accessed by Exit 9 off of NJ Turnpike/I-95, U.S. Route 1, and NJ Route 18.
East Brunswick is somewhat friendly to bicycles. There are areas with bike lanes (which you probably will never get to see, due to rarity), however you will almost always be sharing the roads with cars.
Despite being a suburban town, it is possible, albeit somewhat inconvenient, to travel by NJ Transit bus (lines 811, 815, 818). There are stops centrally located in key areas (residential, retail, public), but you still may need to walk a distance.
As a suburban town that lacks much public or mass transit, cars are the best way to get around East Brunswick. Virtually every part of East Brunswick is readily accessible by car.
Although spread out in traditional suburban style, it is possible to walk around East Brunswick. This is particularly true on Route 18, where hotels are located. Nonetheless, walking can also be very dangerous because almost all main roads are county or state highways with high speed limits. Fatalities while crossing these highways do happen.
In certain (more rural) parts of East Brunswick, locals occasionally travel by horse.
There are many parks in East Brunswick.
- Bicentennial Park.
- Great Oak Park.
- Municipal Pond.
- Many more nature trails and playgrounds.
Although locals complain about there being "little to do", there is enough for outsiders to be interested in.
- Crystal Springs Family Aquatic Center (Crystal Springs), Dunhams Corner Road, ☏ . A municipal water park featuring several pools, slides, and a lazy river for all ages. Open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day $12-23 for non-residents.
- East Brunswick Museum, 16 Maple St., ☏ . Sa Su 1:30-4PM. See historical artifacts from the area, as well as rotating exhibits. Free.
- East Brunswick Public Library, 2 Jean Walling Civic Center. Thousands of books, music, and DVDs. Computers are available, as are wireless internet, vending machines, and other services.
- AMC Theatre, 755 Route 18 (in the Brunswick Square Mall), ☏ . It features 13 screens showing current films of varying ratings. There is a food court and minor arcade.
- Middlesex County Fair, Cranbury Road and Fern Road. Held the first week in August, starting on Monday. Features rides, food, demonstrations and art exhibits. 0-2 free, 3-12 $1, 13-64 $3, 65+ $4.
- Playhouse 22, ☏ . Features regular plays and shows.
- 1 Farrington Lake, Riva Ave. A manmade lake on the Lawrence Brook that allows canoeing, kayaking, and fishing. There are also areas nearby to go hiking and explore nature.
Route 18 has dozens, if not hundreds of retail establishments. A chain or big box of every variety is on Route 18, as well as many smaller businesses. Beyond it, there are other retail places, but they are more spread out and not as centrally-located.
- Brunswick Square Mall, 755 State Route 18, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9:30PM, Su 11AM-6PM. Dozens of shops, restaurants, and Starplex Luxury Cinemas that cater to all needs. On Friday nights and Saturday nights, the mall can be packed, especially with tweens, and may be best avoided.
- Mid-State Mall, West Prospect St and Route 18. Strip Mall with many big boxes, small businesses, and restaurants.
Some of the best eats are to be found in or near the Route 18 Shopping Center. Nonetheless, there is great food up and down (what locals call) 18.
- Bombay Gardens, 1020 Rt-18, ☏ . Indian
- Brothers Pizza, 1020 Rt-18. Italian
- Golden East Garden, 50 W Prospect St., ☏ . Chinese. Voted Best Chinese in the region.
- The Seville Diner, 1035 State Route 18, ☏ . Diner
- [formerly dead link] Brunswick Grove, 327 Milltown Road, ☏ .
- Hooters, 195 Route 18 (beside Days Inn), ☏ . M-Th 11AM-midnight; F Sa 11AM-1AM; Su noon-11PM.
- Best Western East Brunswick Inn, 764 Route 18. 105 guest rooms.
- Comfort Suites, 555 Old Bridge Turnpike. 66 guest rooms.
- Days Hotel Conference Center East Brunswick, 195 SR 18 S NJ Pkwy. 136 guest rooms.
- Hilton East Brunswick, 3 Tower Center Boulevard, ☏ . Located in the Tower Center, the Hilton East Brunswick is on Route 18 and is a major bus connection point to New Brunswick, New York City, other parts of East Brunswick, and other places. It is right next to Exit 9 of the NJ Turnpike.
- Holiday Inn Express Tower Center, 4 Tower Center Boulevard. 100 guest rooms.
- Motel 6 East Brunswick, 244 Route 18. 114 guest rooms.
- Studio 6 East Brunswick, 246 Route 18.
Public pay phones are available, but declining.
Wireless internet is available at the public library.
|Routes through East Brunswick|
|New York City ← Edison ←||N S||→ Hightstown → Philadelphia|