- Not to be confused with Ekerö, the archipelago in Swedish lake Mälaren.
Ålands hav, the sea between Eckerö and Sweden, is narrow enough for nearly any vessel on a nice day.
By bus from Mariehamn, line 1, €4.40.
- 1 Eckerö post- och tullhus (Postal office and museum), Storby, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The post and customs house of 1828, by Ludvig Engel and Carlo Bassi, is hugely oversize for the village, as it was built as a symbol of the Russian Empire at the main mail route to Sweden. The building also hosts artists in residence.
- 2 Hunting and Fishing Museum (Ålands Jakt-och Fiskemuseum), Fiskeläge 37 (Käringsund; 800 m nature trail from the Eckerölinjen jetty at Berghamn), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 18 June–16 August daily 10:00–18:00, 1 May–7 June and 17 Aug–29 Aug M–Sa 10:00–17:00, for groups also by request. €6/4/-.
In summer this is almost a beach resort for Ålanders and has a holiday feeling, and a traditional beach style atmosphere. Tip: hire a canoe and paddle to some islands.
- Game safari (the tour starts at the Hunting & Fishing Museum), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 45 min safari tour, game pasture with red deer, fallow deer, wild boar, ostriches and llamas. Also accommodation and boat trips. €10/7/5; rooms €60; cottages €120–750/night.
- Märket lighthouse. June–August Tu–Th 09:00 or by request. Lighthouse in the Sea of Åland, on a tiny skerry with the border to Sweden (the smallest sea island shared between countries, and a separate DXCC entity). Trips of 4–5 hours (one hour each way) arranged by the Käringsund guest harbour. Guided tour, coffee and seal watching. Proper clothes and footwear needed. Cancelled in bad weather or with few customers (unless specially arranged).
Restaurants at most accommodations. See Sleep below.
- 1 Guest harbour (Käringsunds gästhamn), Fiskeläget, Gamla Käringsundsvägen, ☎ . Full service guest harbour. Restaurant. Open May–August. €25/35 (less/more than 41 feet).
- Käringsunds camping, Käringsundsvägen 147, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Open 14 June–14 August caravan €30, tent €18, cottage €65, sauna €15.
- Käringsund Resort & Conference, Käringsundsvägen 194, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Cottages and camping. Restaurant. Cottages about €100–450/night.
- Eckerö hotell & restaurang, Käringsundsvägen 53, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Hotel and restaurant. from €105/115/night (off/in season).
Postal code: AX-22270 Eckerö
- Mariehamn, the capital and only town on Åland.