El Salto is a town and seat of the municipality of Pueblo Nuevo in the southwestern part of the Mexican state of Durango. It is situated on a pine-forested plateau about 8,465 ft (2,580 m) above sea level in the Sierra Madre Mountain range, the town is home to a large lumber industry and a military base. The pine forests around the area provide habitat for a large number of birds, mammals and reptile species.
Thanks to its location in the high plateau of the Sierra Madre Occidental it receives abundant rain during the summer months. The town experiences mild but rainy summers, and relatively dry and chilly winters with freezing night temperatures. Winter months witness the occasional snow shower.
The town can be accessed on the Old Mexican Federal Route 40. It is approximately 100 km from the capital of Durango.
A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024, starting at 13:10 local time and lasting 4 min. Chances of a clear sky are 75%. The eclipse tracks northeast through Mazatlan towards Durango, Torreon and Texas.
El Salto has places to practice rappelling, mountaineering and zip-lining.
- 1 Las Cañas 1919, De Hidalgo, Juárez, ☏ . 09:00 - 15:00 (closed Monday). Good place for breakfast, specializes in chilaquiles. Good molletes. M$150.
- 2 Doña Nico, Canelas, Juárez, ☏ . 09:00 - 19:30. Traditional home-cooked Mexican cuisine as well as fried chicken.
- 1 Bar El Ancla, Aserraderos 872, Maderera.
- 1 Hotel Los Pinos, Carretra libre, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Laguna de las Joyas, Cam. Piste a Aeropuerto, El Brillante, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Modern, comfortable hotel with on-site restaurant.
- 3 Hotel Pueblo de Madera, 16 de Septiembre 10, Juárez, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Clean, comfortable rooms and a convenient location in the center of town. Some rooms have shared bath.
- 4 Real de Bosque, Azucena at Carr. Durango-El Salto (50 meters from the main highway (MEX 40)), ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 12:00. Clean, comfortable mid-range hotel. On-site restaurant.
As of Dec 2021, El Salto has a basic mobile signal from Telcel but nothing from other carriers. 4G has not reached this area.