The Elm Lappwald (German: Naturpark Elm-Lappwald) is a nature park in southwest Lower Saxony, east of Brunswick in central Germany. It is dominated by the forested hill ranges of the Elm, Lappwald and Dorm as well as the region known as the Helmstedt Bowl (Helmstedter Mulde).
Elm Lappwald is in Lower Saxony, in the "middle north" of Germany, between Brunswick and Magdeburg, Hanover and Berlin. The Elm is the largest and most attractive beech forest in North Germany. Amongst the varied landscapes of the natur park are large areas of forest, moors, springs, lakes, heathland, salt meadows and chalk downs, rich in plant species. The park is home to over 800 species of plant, of which more than 10% are endangered. Birds, mammals and amphibians also occur in abundance in the nature parks habitats. The Reitling valley in the Elm and the Brunnen valley in the Lappwald have been described as "idyllic".
The easiest way to get around Elm Lappwald is by car.
- Visit the Schoeningen Spears - mankinds oldest weapons ever found from 320,000 BC.
- Helmstedt Border Museum, visit the Wall that divided once East and West .
- Bicycle tours Romantic Road
- Hiking 1-day hike
- Historical tours -The area of the present-day nature park was already permanently settled in the 6th century BC, as evinced by the megalith graves.
- Horseback riding - Reit- und Fahrverein Schöningen, Augustastr. 16, 38364 Schöningen, Tel.: 05352/59094. Riding arena (50x20m), large equestrian center site at the quarry near the youth hostel
Here a link to updated events: For events click here
- 1 Café "Ferienhof Beutel", Schliestedter Str. 2, 38170 Eitzum,, ☏ . W-Su 14:00-18:00.
- 2 [dead link] Zur Schunterquelle, Schunterquelle 132, Räbke, ☏ .
- 1 Hotel-Waldgaststätte "Barriere Rehm", Barriere, 39356 Weferlingen, ☏ . Daily 11:00-21:00
- 2 Hotel & Restaurant "Jakobsberg", Am Bülowschacht 6, 39387 Oschersleben, ☏ . M-F 17:00-23:00, Sa 11:00-23:00, Su 11:00-21:00