Engelberg is a village resort in Central Switzerland. It has been popular with visitors as a major mountain resort in Central Switzerland. Engelberg is visited today as much for skiing for its Alpine character. It is popular for both summer and winter tourism. The nearest large city is Lucerne.
Engelberg (mountain of angel) is an exclave of the canton of Obwalden and is surrounded by the cantons of Bern, Nidwalden and Uri. It was home to about 4,200 people in 2018
The official language of Engelberg is the Swiss variant of standard German, but the main spoken language is the local variant of the Alemannic Swiss German dialect.
Engelberg is first mentioned as Engilperc in 1122, when the Abbey was founded there. From 1850, Engelberg became an international vacation resort (mineral water, milk serum and fresh air cures). Many hotels were built,and roads were improved. The Stansstad-Engelberg electric railway was opened in 1898.
Hiking and other mountain sports developed at the end of the 19th century and Engelberg first held a winter season in 1903–1904. A funicular railway (opened in 1913) connects Engelberg to Gerschni and, from there, the second cable car in Switzerland (opened in 1927) runs onwards to Ober Trüebsee.
The decade preceding the First World War was a period of boom conditions. The widening of the road and the extension of the railway to Lucerne (in 1964) considerably opened up the tourism catchment area of the station and, in 1967, the higher section of the Titlis cable car was opened. Conferences in Engelberg niw supplement winter tourism.
Engelberg can be easily reached via excellent road and rail connections.
Take the Motorway A2 (Basel-Gotthard) and exit at Stans-Süd. From there take the main road in direction of Engelberg.
By bus 
Engelberg has a network of local buses that ferry passengers to and from the city’s main stops. All the attractions are well connected. Travel on these local buses is free of charge.
By cable cars
Cable cars are especially popular when visiting Mount Titlis. Apart from Titlis, visitors to Brunni and Fürenalp too are accessible by cable cars.
- 1 Engelberg Abbey (Kloster Engelberg). It used to be in the Diocese of Constance, but is now in the Diocese of Chur. It is dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels and occupies a commanding position at the head of the Nidwalden Valley. Since 1851, there exists the Boarding School of the Abbey Engelberg.
- 2 Cheese Factory (Schaukäserei), Klosterhof 5 (Within the premises of the abbey), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 09:00-18:00. See how cheese is made and buy some, if you like.
- 3 Talmuseum Engelberg (Valley museum Engelberg), Dorfstrasse 6, ☏ , email@example.com. W-Su 14:00-18:00. The valley museum is a local museum in the landmarked Wappenhaus (Coat of arms house). All types of devoational objects related to the village and region can be seen here. Fr. 6 adults; Fr. 3. concessions.
- 4 Titlis. 3,238 m (10,623 ft) mountain
- 5 Titlis Cliff Walk. A pedestrian bridge along the cliff of Mount Titlis.
- 1 Titlis ski area (72 km, 19 lifts). While it's called Titlis ski area, it does not only include the cable cars around Titlis, but also the two other areas around Engelberg. Day pass Fr. 65/26.
- 1 Alpenrösli, Restaurant Alpenrösli Niedersurenen Familie Arnold, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.