Erding is a city of 36,000 people (2018) in Upper Bavaria, Germany. Although the city is home to the world's biggest brewery for wheat beers, Europe's biggest spa, and Munich Airport is only 10 min away, the city has kept most of its small town charm and historical center.
The official history of Erding starts in 742, although hints of first settlements go back as far as 2500 BC. The settlement was appointed a city in 1228 by Duke Louis I of Bavaria. During the Thirty Years' War Erding was burned to the ground by the Swedes thrice. The citizens were able to rebuild the city, though, with the help of the newly implemented tax on beer. During the last days of World War II, Erding was bombarded before surrendering to American troops without fighting back. After World War II, the city grew continuously, and with the opening of Munich Airport, which is just north of the city, went into a boom, that continues.
Erding is well connected by plane through Munich Airport, which is 10 km (6 mi) north of the city. The airport is the second busiest in Germany and 7th in Europe, and offers a lot of flights to national, European, and intercontinental destinations. Bus 512 leaves the airport every 40 min and takes about 20 min to get to the center of Erding. The car drive to the airport takes about 10 min.
The city has two stations: Erding, close to the city centre, and Altenerding in the south of the city, not far from the spa. Both stations are part of Munich's public transport system MVV and Erding station is the northern terminus of the suburban train (S-Bahn) line S2. The S2 serves the stations every 20 min and takes about 50 min to Munich Central Station.
Erding is very well connected to the rest of Germany by the autobahn network.
Coming from the north, east, and north-west use autobahn A 92 and take exit 9 "Erding" and follow the airport bypass street in southern direction until you reach Erding.
Arriving from Munich, the south, and south-east take autobahn A 94 and leave the autobahn at exit 9b "Markt Schwaben" and follow the airport bypass street in northern direction until you reach Erding.
Given the small size of the city, Erding is easily navigable on foot. The bike is also very popular among locals. Another viable option are the city buses.
- 1 Brewery Erdinger (Erdinger Weißbräu), Franz-Brombach-Straße 1, ☏ . Tu-F 10:00 & 14:00 & 18:00, Sa 10:00 & 14:00. A special point of interest for every beer aficionado is vistit to the world's biggest wheat beer (Bavarian: Weißbier) brewery Erdinger Weißbräu. You can experience the brewing process with a little historical introduction to brewing and the brewery, the actual tour through the brewing facilities, the bottling plant, and the huge warehouse. After the tour you can try as many pretzels, white sausages, and as much Erdinger beer you like (included in the tour price). The tours are often completely booked during German holiday weeks, so try to book beforehand. Adults €12, concessions €6.
- 2 Museum Erding, Prielmayerstraße 1, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 13:00-17:00. The museum focuses on the history of the city of Erding. It was founded in 1856, which makes it one of the oldest city museums. The museum is subdivided in a section for prehistoric times, Middle Ages, the time of the German Reich, and modern history after 1950. Adults €3, concessions €2.
- 3 Schöner Turm, Landshuter Straße 11. The Schöner Turm (Beautiful Tower) marks the eastern end of the historic city center. It was built around 1408 in late Gothic style and is the last vivble part of the historic city wall. Like the rest of the town it was severely damaged in the Thirty Years' War, but rebuilt afterwards.
- 1 Thermenwelt Erding (Sauna & Spa Erding), Thermenallee 1, ☏ . "Galaxy" waterslide park: M-Th 14:00-21:00, F 14:00-23:00, Sa 09:00-23:00, Su 09:00-21:00, Sauna-Paradies: M-F 10:00-23:00, Sa 9:00-0:00, Su 09:00-23:00. To relax in Europe's largest sauna & spa area is almost a must for every visitor to the region. The 16 water slides keep the kids occupied while the parents are relaxing in the (mandatory nude) sauna & spa area. Galaxy 4 hr: €21, Sauna-Paradies 5 hr: €34, special offers (late evenings, early morning) apply.
- 2 Erdinger Autumn Beer Festival (Erdinger Herbsfest), Am Stadion (Opposite the ice rink). (10 days after the last Friday in August) 11:00-00:00. The Erdinger Autumn Beer Fetsival is the third biggest beer festival in Upper Bavaria. It has 2 large beer halls and an amusement park. It takes place every year at the end of August or beginning of September. Beer (1L) €6.80.
In the city centre you find a number of clothing and shoe stores and drug stores. Spread around the city are shops for daily needs, such as butchers, bakeries, grocers, and smaller supermarkets.
Within the "Business Park North-West" in the west of the city you find a DIY warehouse, shoe stores, stores selling consumer electronics, and more clothing stores and supermarkets.
- 1 Brasserie Dostojewskij (International), Lange Zeile 27, ☏ , Dosto-Erding@t-online.de. Daily 08:30-01:00. The Dostojewskij is a cozy restaurant at the northern end of Lange Zeile. The place is most popular for its opulent breakfast.
- 2 Brauerei Gasthof "zur Post" (Bavarian), Friedrich-Fischer-Straße 6, ☏ . M W Th 11:00-0:00, F 18:00-0:00, Sa Su 10:00-0:00. The plain interior of this restaurant in a historic building hasn't such a cozy feel as the "Erdinger Weißbräu" just around the corner, but is less overdrowded and loud. The restaurant focuses on traditional Bavarian dishes, with Oxenbackerl (cheek of the ox in red wine sauce) as the speciality of the house.
- 3 Taj (Indian), Haager Straße 15, ☏ . Daily 11:15-14:30 & 17:15-23:30. Fans of Indian cuisine will get their money's worth here. Unimpressive from the outside, the interior of the restaurant is that of a typical Indian restaurant in Europe. The service personnel is fast and attentive, and tries to meet all the guests' wishes.
- 4 Wirtshaus Kreuzeder (Bavarian), Münchner Straße 56, ☏ . Th-Tu 09:00-14:00 & 18:00-01:00. This restaurant is one of the best regarding traditional Bavarian dishes in Erding. In a cosy and private atmosphere, big portions of high quality food are served for a fair price. No credit cards accepted.
- 5 [dead link] Zum Erdinger Weißbräu (Bavarian), Lange Zeile 1-3, ☏ , info@Hotel-Erdinger-Weissbraeu.de. Typical Bavarian food in a rustic atmosphere. The menu is focused around local dishes, which are neatly arranged. Besides your standard juices and lemonades, the local Erdinger beer is served in this restaurant (the restaurant is in fact owned by the Erdinger brewing company). Reservations are recommended, as on weekend, evenings, and in summer the place fills up very quickly.
Erding's bar and pub scene mostly revolves around the city center at Lange Zeile. There are a few clubs and discos in Erding as well, though.
- 1 [formerly dead link] Musikpark Erding, Johann-Auer-Straße 2 (above Media-Markt store), ☏ . F-Sa 22:00-06:00. This huge club with 3 areas (techno, black, Schlager) is on the top level of Media Markt electronics store in Business Park North-West. Entry €5.
- 1 AMA Hotel, Lange Zeile 26, ☏ . This small airport and trade fair hotel with only 4 apartments is in the centre of town, close to restaurants and sights. Free parking is available. As the hotel has no staffed reception, automated check-in is available 24/7. The rooms are spacious and modern and free wifi is available. Double from €49.
- 1 Wifi Hotspot at McDonald's, Johann-Auer-Straße 1. M-W 07:00-00:00, Th 07:00-01:00, F Sa 07:00-05:00, Su 09:00-00:00. The McDonald's restaurant in Business Park North-West offers free wifi for its customers.
- Munich. Bavaria's capital and biggest city Munich is only a short 50 min suburban train ride away. The city is Bavaria's cultural focal point with a vast number of museums, galleries, and other sights, and numerous shops and stores in every price range.
- Freising. This quaint university town with its cathedral and the famous Weihenstephaner brewery is a 20-min car drive north of Erding.