KVV tram lines S1 and S11 run to Karlsruhe every 10 minutes or better, connecting to long distance trains at the central station (Karlsruhe Hauptbahnhof). Tickets are €2.20 to the central station and points south, and €2.80 to anywhere else in Karlsruhe. There are several stops in Ettlingen, of which Ettlingen Stadt is the most central. Some trams end at this station; during off hours, two-car trains will often detach here, with only the first car continuing south.
Take the Ettlingen exit (47, "Karlsruhe-Rueppurr/Ettlingen") from the A5 autobahn, immediately south of the A8 interchange.
- 1 Parkhaus Sparkasse, Neuer Markt. A paid underground parking structure with easy walking access to the Altstadt
Although Ettlingen has expanded over the years, the area of greatest interest is compact and easily explored on foot. Bus service to the outlying districts (mostly residential and industrial) leaves from the west side of Ettlingen Stadt tram station.
The old city, spanning the Alb River, dates largely from the 1700s, following its near-total destruction in the Nine Years' War. Today it's a mixture of classic architecture and modern shops, retaining its charm and pleasant to walk around. Points of interest are marked with blue plaques in German, English, and French.
- 1 Museum Ettlingen, Marktstraße 2. September through April: 11 AM - 6 PM; May though August: 1 PM -6 PM. €3 for adults, children up to 12 years free.
- Wochenmarkt, Marktplatz 2, 76275 Ettlingen. Every Wendnesday and Saturday, 8 AM to 1 PM. In case of a holiday, it occurs on the preceding work day. Farmer's Market in front of the Rathaus (Town Hall) with several stands selling fresh local produce, meat, flowers, and bratwurst to go.
- Ristorante Padellino, Seminarstr. 10.
- [dead link] z'Fondue at Hotel Zum Strauß, Talstr. 2 (The 101 bus goes directly from Ettlingen Stadt up the hill to the village of Spessart. Get off at the Strauß bus stop. (The bus usually leaves every half hour for €2.00 each way, but check the kvv.mobil app for real-time bus schedules and pricing.)), ☏ . Regional specialities and Swiss-style fondue with cheese or meat
- Ratsstube, Kirchenpl. 1, 76275 Ettingen. Seasonal and local cuisine in a cozy atmosphere with outdoor seating on the central plaza. Reservations accepted.
- O'Neill's Irish Pub, Albstr. 29, ☏ . Free wifi. Irish Scottish whiskies
- Vogel Hausbräu, Rheinstr. 4. Live music on Sundays. This two-level brewpub with a terrace in the back offers growler fills of their popular Pilsner as well as a rotating specialty beer. Major credit cards accepted.
- 1 Hotel Erbprinz Ettlingen, Rheinstraße 1, ☏ . Pricey hotel and spa. Singles €165-300.
- Stadthotel Engel, Kronenstraße 13 (entrance from Lauergasse), ☏ . Modern, smallish rooms in the center of town, within walking distance of Ettlingen Schloss/Ettlingen Stadt stations. The multilingual staff are efficient and helpful. Breakfast included. Some parking is available in an underground garage, for an additional €6.50/day. Singles €80-100, doubles €125-130.