Ezcaray is a small, charming village in the La Rioja region of Spain. Ezcaray is located 34 km south west of Haro, one of the major wine towns in La Rioja (Spain). Ezcaray is a small sleepy Spanish town with a fabulous restaurant and a couple of nice places to stay. It is very scenic. The population is under 2000.
The closest international airport is in Bilbao, 123 kn north of Ezcaray. The closest regional airport, Logroño, has flight connections to Madrid and Barcelona. However, there are few direct transport links between these airports and Ezcaray.
Car is probably the best way to reach Ezcaray. Haro is about a 20 minute drive, and Bilbao is just under two hours. Madrid is 314 km.
See beautiful stone bridges over the Oja River. Visit charming little hamlets up the Oja river from Ezcaray. Enjoy the beautiful mountains and scenery.
Ezcaray is a small town. In the winter time, great skiing is available in Valdezcaray, a ski resort just 15 minutes away by car. Hiking during the summer months is amazing and the hiking trails are well marked and easy to follow. Beautiful surroundings.
Blankets, blankets, and more blankets! There are several very interesting shops, including a local specialty store, vegetable shop, butcher, etc, in the pedestrianized center of town. There are several grocery stores in town suitable for self catering.
The restaurant El Portal in the Hotel Echaurren is fantastic. Its Michelin star is well deserved and it is worth a journey to Ezcaray to have dinner in this restaurant. The wine list is local (Rioja), extensive and reasonably priced.
- El Portal (in Hotel Echaurren), Padre Jose Garcia 19 (Center of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. Spanish. a la carte €40 to €56, menus from €70.
- Casa Massip, Academia Militar de Zaragoza 6 (Center), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Closed Monday. carte €34 to €39.
- El Rincón Del Vino, C/ Jesús Nazareno Nº 2 (Center), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
Best drinks in town, Troika Lounge!
All of the places to sleep in Ezcaray are located within 100 meters of each other in the center of town. There are two hotels and an apartemento. The apartementos are quite nice and well equipped.
- Hotel Echaurren, Padre Jose Garcia 19 (Center of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 12PM, check-out: 11AM. 45€.
- Hotel Palacio Azcarate, Padre Jose Garcia 17 (Center of town), ☏ , fax: , ✉ email@example.com. 60/95€.
- Apartamentos Ezcaray Suites, MONTAÑA (Center of town), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10AM. 145€/night for two bedroom apartment with kitchen.