You can take the local bus from Chang Phuak bus station in Chiang Mai. Fang is 152 km from Chiang Mai and it takes about 3 hours to get there by local bus. A ticket costs 80 baht. Halfway, the bus stops for a leak and a snack.
Unfortunately it's not possible to hire a (motor)bike, because so few tourists visit Fang there are no rentals. Monmai Resort does offer car hire, but you have to be a guest of the resort and rates start from 1000 baht per day with limited availability. Discovering the area, which is really beautiful and therefore worth to do so, is only otherwise possible by going on a tour. Then you'll be driven around in a car, jeep, or pickup.
- Huai Luk Royal Project (โครงการหลวงห้วยลึก) (On the Chiang Mai-Fang route. Take a right turn at km95 for around 500 m). The project provides farmland to Hmong, Karen and lowland farmers. It promotes, researches, and plants flowers, fruits, and vegetables for farmers. Produce ranges from vegetables and flowers such as cantaloupes, chrysanthemums, and peacock flowers, to fruits like guava and pomegranate. The best time to visit is from Nov-Mar as produce is plentiful then.
- Wat Tham Tap Tao (วัดถ้ำตับเต่า) (On the Chiang Mai-Fang route. The temple is between km120 and km121, where you will turn left and go 3 km). The peaceful temple compound comprises a mid-pond scripture hall and Tap Tao cave, which is a highlight. The cave is somewhat smaller than Chiang Dao cave, but it offers the unique charm of Buddha images inside.
- Fang Hot Springs (บ่อน้ำร้อนฝาง) (Ban Pin, 8 km NW of Fang). The 50 hot springs originate from simmering granite with temperatures from 90 to 100°C. The largest spring spews out consistent steam with a strong scent of sulphur. On the premises are a massage shop (Thai massage, 100 baht for 1 hr), beauty salon, coffee shop, restaurant. You can rent a private mineral bath cabin for 50 baht/person for 30 min (quite sufficient) or bathe in the outdoor public bath (no time limit) for 20 baht. Sauna adjacent (30 baht). The park contains everything needed for an extended stay.
Unfortunately there does not seem to be any public transport to the springs, and local drivers take advantage of this.A moto-taxi might cost you 250-300 one way; considerably more if you want them to wait.
- Lahu Hilltribe Homestay, 304 Fang District, ☎ , e-mail: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 1 to 3 days trekking (rainforest and waterfalls) and or Lahu village homestay with tribal food, music and dancing on Doi Pumuen (the second highest mountain in Thailand at 2,285 m). The guides are from the Lahu village. Organised through the Phumanee Hotel.
- Wilbert Muller-Jabusch, ☎ , e-mail: , email@example.com. A guide with a lot of experience who has lived in Fang for 25 years. He was a guide all over Thailand, but now is only doing the very northern part of the country. He speaks fluent English, Dutch, German, and Thai and can also speak with the hill tribes. His knowledge of the area is broad and diverse.
- Local markets. One springs up periodically across from the bus station selling fresh produce, clothing, household goods. There is another selling mainly clothes which seems always open on the west side of the main road in the center of town
- Supermarket. On Thesaban soi 8
As everywhere in Thailand there are plenty of local restaurants down the streets where you can get Thai and Chinese dishes.
- Cha Arnon Coffee, Fang Hot Springs, 30 steps behind visitor centre. 08:00-17:00. Friendly place for great coffee in the park. Noon, the proprietor, is convivial and engaging and speaks English. Also serves Thai food, beer, and has a small shop adjacent where you can stock up on essentials. 45+ baht.
- Ninecool Coffee, ☎ . Serve very nice coffees (hot & iced) made from beans grown in the hills around Fang. Free Wi-Fi.
- Fang Hot Springs (Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park) (~8 km NW of Fang). The hot springs doubles as the park HQ. Accommodations range from camping (rental tents from 30-600 baht (1-8 persons). Also rent out sleeping bags (30 baht), pads (20 baht), etc. The park also has 11 bungalows for hire, from 600-2,000 baht per night (accommodating from 4-10 persons). Beautiful, park setting, quiet and rustic.
- Mon Muang Ngam Resort, Bpong Nam Rohn (Near the entrance to Fang Hot Springs (Doi Pha Hom Pok National Park), ~8km NW of Fang), ☎ . Have 6 bungalows ranging in size from small, for a couple, to large, for up to 10 persons. Very good restaurant, bar, and shop on-site. On the bank of a river, expansive grounds. Free Wi-Fi. 1,000+ baht.
- Phumanee Lahu Hotel, 122/1 Moo 4, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi, hot showers, a tribal museum and a restaurant which serves excellent local organic coffee. Can organise Hill tribe eco-tours, homestays and other activities. 650-850 baht.
- Monmai Resort, 326 Moo 11, Fang, Chiang Mai, 50110 (Left off Hwy 207 (if approaching from Chiang Mai) you will see a blue sign with white lettering pointing the way. About 1.7 km to travel. You will know you are there when you see the big lake.), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Beautiful lakeside resort, an oasis of calm 5 minutes by car from the centre of town. Coffee shop onsite and lakeside restaurants, picnic area. Rooms are as well furnished as any top quality hotel in Bangkok and at a fraction of the price to stay, and very clean. Free WiFi. Hot shower with good water pressure. They also offer tours visiting major attractions throughout the area. Rates for a cabin with living room, bedroom and bathroom start from 600 baht.
- Aum-Hum Home stay(อุ้มฮุ่ม โฮมเสตย์), 111 Moo 6, Fang, Chiang Mai, 50110, Thailand, ☎ +66 954535293 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 12pm; checkout: 12pm. You can see a Fang district from here. Nomhoo(natural fountain) are close to me for 3 km, only about 15 minutes by car from the down town. Here you can cooking or shabu hot pot. House are lovely and visit in a silent village, fresh air and very clean, No WiFi and TV A house are Teak wood and furniture is Rates for a 2 bedroom(Hot shower) and bathroom with a big barcony,living room, start from 800 baht(one room for 2 person) and for a house 1600 bath(2 room for 4 person) include breakfast.
At the turn in Chotana Rd where the bridge if you go the other way north down the small road. then take a right there is a clean but dilapipdated guesthouse, 200,250 and 300 baht rooms.