The town served as a base for workers on the Canadian Pacific Railway in its early days, and now hosts a small community of about 170, in addition to hosting the Yoho Park administration building and a number of quaint gift shops, restaurants, and small accommodations.
Field is a 2½-hour drive west of Calgary along the Trans-Canada Highway through Banff National Park, passing Banff and Lake Louise along the way. Field can also be reached along the Trans-Canada Highway from Vancouver to the west.
- Spiral Tunnel - about 10 minutes from the small town of Field. Catch the Trans-Canada train spiralling through the mountain around 2PM.
- Takakkaw Falls - the third tallest waterfall in Canada, 45 minutes from Field.
- The Velvet Antler Pottery Shop, 314 Stephen Ave, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Artist-owned gallery and atelier of pottery. Handmade stoneware and porcelain.
- Truffle Pigs Cafe, 100 Centre St. Daily 8AM-11PM, no food service after 9PM.
- Kicking Horse Lodge Restaurant.
- Cathedral Mountain Lodge.
- Mount Burgess Dining Room & Cilantro's, 1 Emerald Lake Road, ☎ . Dining room open year-round (7AM-11AM, 6PM-8:30PM - F Sa until 9:30PM). Cilantro's Bistro in summer only (11AM-9PM).
- Chercher La Vache Cafe, 316 Steven Ave, ☎ . 8AM-late, kitchen closes at 9PM. A great little cafe with amazing food. Some nights have live music. Has free wireless Internet and a patio. Doubles as the coffee shop, corner store, liquor store and souvenir shop. Many of the staff speak French.
Have a drink in the sunshine on the patio at the Truffle Pigs Cafe or Kicking Horse Lodge (Su–Th 11AM–10PM, F Sa 11AM–11PM).
- Kicking Horse Lodge, 100 Centre St, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Emerald Lake Lodge, 1 Emerald Lake Road, ☎ . Built of hand-hewn timber and featuring massive stone fireplaces, the lodge includes an elegant dining room, quiet reading and sitting rooms, conference facilities and a games room. Lounge features an oak bar salvaged from an 1890s-era Yukon saloon. From upper and lower verandas, the vistas of surrounding mountainscapes are breathtaking. Rooms from $330.
- Alpine Guesthouse, 313 2nd Ave, ☎ .
- The Bear's Den Guesthouse, ☎ .
- The Old Church Guesthouse, ☎ , fax: .
- Canadian Rockies Inn, 308 Stephen Ave, ☎ . Check-in: 4PM, check-out: 11AM. Low season $131.25, high season $194.25.
|Routes through Field|
|Kamloops ← Golden ←||W E||→ Lake Louise (in Banff NP) → Banff|