With a coverage area of 34,361 hectares consisting mainly of Bulgarian Firs, the area was declared a national park by the Albanian Government on January 15, 1996 under the jurisdiction of the Permet District Forest Service, and National Agency of Protected Areas of Albana (AKZM). The area is by far the most protected forest massif in Albania, successfully resisting any damage or deforestation by man.
The impressive view of the park can be seen from Lumica Valley entrance up to Kokojka Mt summit. At the height of 800-1000 meters, there are vast meadows surrounded by centuries-old large trees forming an impressive greenbelt. There are no food facilities in the park, though food can be brought or ordered at nearby villages. Water can be secured from fresh water fountains located on the roadside along the way.
Flora and fauna
Fir of Hotova contains the largest area of Bulgarian Fir in the Balkans. Other species include maple, black horn-beam, ilex, red and black juniper, and raspberry.
Some of the park’s fauna includes the brown bear, wolf, fox, wild boar, hare, squirrel, and wild goat. Deer can also be seen on the pastures deep inside the forest.
The road leading to the park from SH75 in Piskova is in rough shape and requires a 4x4.
Fees and permits
There are no entry fees. For assistance, please contact :
- Pro Permet Tourist Info Center, Qendra Kulturore Multifunksionale, shëtitorja Odise Paskali, kati II, Përmet, ☏ . There you can request info and buy local products
- The park is administered by the Albanian National Agency of Protected Areas (AKZM) through local ADZM Gjirokaster Protected Areas Administration 
- Frasheri Brothers Tower House and Museum in Frasher. Reconstructed in the 1970s by the Albanian government, the tower house features documents, photographs, and sculptures on the Frasheri Brothers origins, and their contribution to the Albanian Renaissance in the form of a museum.
- Katiu Ottoman Bridge and Benja Thermal Waters
- Hiking in the mountains. Trails are marked and can be found HERE. In the winter, visitors can appreciate the snow blankets covering the firs, and in the summer the abundance of fresh air away from the Albanian summer heat.
- Rafting on Langarica Canyon
- Bathing at Benja Thermal Waters
- Visit Permet
- Traditional dishes, Gliko (preserves)
- Fresh water from the roadside water fountains, local wine and raki
- Hotel Alvero, Sheshi Abdyl Frasheri, Permet, Albania, ☏ , , , ✉ email@example.com.
- Hotel Permeti, Sheshi Abdyl Frasheri, Permet, Albania, ☏ , , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.