Fish Creek is a small township in the South Gippsland region of Victoria, Australia. It is on the main road from Melbourne to Wilsons Promontory. Along with nearby Foster it has the budget accommodation nearest Wilsons Prom but not inside the Prom national park. It is a handy base for trips not only to the Prom but also to the Waratah Bay and Cape Liptrap areas.
The region’s attractions range from the natural features such as coastal parks, beaches and mountain rainforests through to its heritage of human history in maritime and coal mining activities.
The main visitors’ centre is the 1 Prom Country Information Centre, Corner of Silkstone Road and South Gippsland Highway, ☏ , toll-free: . . If coming to Korumburra from the Melbourne direction, go through the town and turn off to the left just before leaving the town. It is a 90-minute drive from Melbourne.
Turn to the south off the South Gippsland Highway at Meeniyan or Foster. Fish Creek is on route C444 which runs from Meeniyan to Wilsons Promontory and on route C445 from Foster. It can also be reached from Inverloch, Venus Bay and Tarwin Lower via route C442 and Tourist Route 97.
V-Line operates coach services which depart from Melbourne's Southern Cross station, Dandenong and Koo Wee Rup towards Fish Creek. The 1 Roo Fuel bus stop, which is where all coaches arrive, is located next to the gas station. The timetable for coach services is available here.
- 1 Ride the Wild Goat, 5 Falls Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sa-Su 10:30AM-4:30PM. Wood crafts workshop and gallery.
- 2 Stefani Hilltop Gallery, 39 Keanes Road, ☏ , email@example.com. 10:30AM-5PM. Fine art gallery at a historic home.
- 3 Celia Rosser Gallery, 1791 Meeniyan-Promontory Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Prints of botanical artist Celia Rosser's work, with a gift shop and a cafe.
- 1 Fish Creek LPO, 29 Falls Road, ☏ . M-F 9AM-5PM, Sa 9AM-12noon. Post office.
- 2 Fish Creek Memorial Hall, 13 Falls Road, email@example.com. Community centre home to events such as the tea cosy festival. Contains an op shop/thrift shop.
- 3 Fish Creek Pharmacy Plus, 25 Falls Road. General store, pharmacy and newsagency.
- 1 Little Oberon Cafe (Gecko Gallery), 15 Falls Road. Fr-Tu 9AM-3PM. Cafe and gallery.
- 2 Gibsons Licensed Cafe & Larder, 9 Falls Road, ☏ . Cafe that sells snacks and meals.
- 1 The Fish Creek Hotel/Motel, Old Waratah Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel offers motel units behind the pub. There are 9 units. Two have a double and two single beds, seven have a double and one single bed. The units have a separate bathroom (hand basin, shower and toilet) and open plan bedroom. There is a lawn area and beer garden at the rear with tables and chairs. Reception is in the hotel, which has ATM, credit card and Eftpos facilities (no Diners or American Express). There is also a restaurant, a bar, TAB with Sky Channel/Austar, and a bottle shop on premises. The kitchen is open 11AM-9PM every day. The bar is normally open every day from 11AM-1AM, but it sometimes closes before 1AM, particularly in winter. The bottle shop is open 10:30AM-midnight every day. Single $80, Double $100, Extra person $40 each, Children $25.
WiFi is available upon request at The Fish Creek Hotel, which also has tourist information, maps and local brochures on hand.
|Routes through Fish Creek|
|Meeniyan ←||N S||→ Wilsons Promontory|