Fiumicino is a city in Lazio. This city is on the coast near to Rome, and close to the airport that bears its name.
Fiumicino was originally a fishing village and is still an important fishing center. It is situated on the west coast of Italy, in the province of Rome. Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci International Airport is close by and is more normally referred to as Fiumicino Airport these days, with the international code FCO. The town is home to approximately 60,000 inhabitants.
This region enjoys a Mediterranean climate similar to that of Rome, with occasional sea breezes to keep it cooler in summer. Spring and autumn are the best time to visit as the weather is most pleasant at this time. In the peak of summers, the temperature tends to regularly go over 35°C. Winters are mild.
Lately, it has also become a popular retreat for people from Rome. It is also a popular place for visitors to stay while visiting Rome. If you are flying out from Fiumicino airport it could be a pleasant place to stay your last night, avoiding the hassle of Rome's traffic on the way to catch your flight.
Downtown Fiumicino is located only a short drive away from the airport. However, taxis will probably refuse to take you there. They will probably have been queueing for two hours expecting at least a €40 fare to the center of Rome and will not want a €10-€12 fare to Fiumicino. If you the first taxi refuses to take you, try another.
Battelli di Roma: A great way to go from Rome to Ostia and at a very reasonable rate. The boat picks up/drops off in Ostia Antica, Fiumicino's neighboring town.
The Roma-Lido station is also located in Ostia Antica and provides easy access in to Fiumicino from Rome.
Rome: The city of Rome is only a short train ride away from the Ostia Antica stop. Ostia Antica is only about a fifteen minute car ride from Fiumicino.
- Ostia Antica: The ancient Roman city of Ostia was in antiquity situated at the mouth of the river Tiber, some 30 kilometres to the west of Rome. The shoreline moved seawards, due to silting, from the Middle Ages until the 19th century. Therefore Ostia is today still lying next to the Tiber, but at a distance of some three kilometers from the beach. Ostia is Latin for "mouth", the mouth of the Tiber. The river was used as harbour, but in the Imperial period two harbour basins were added to the north, near Leonardo da Vinci airport. The harbour district was called Portus, Latin for "harbour". Ostia is home to a collection of ruins waiting to be visited.
Fiumicino is on the Western coast of Italy, so it has beautiful beaches on the Mediterranean Sea. Ostia, Fiumicino's neighboring town, also has wonderful beaches. For those who wish to experience the historical wonder of Rome, Fiumicino is conveniently located about 30 minutes outside of Rome via train.
- Leonarda da Vinci Parc shopping area-
Any shop you want you can find in this new huge shopping area, about 230 shops.
- Malo Moda-
A new shopping outlet located in Fiumicno. Here you can find many different clothing stores ranging from ONYX to Fruit of the Loom. Located at: 211 via Trincea Delle Frasche
- Vittoria on the Beach- A traditional Italian style restaurant located on the beach of Fiumicino. With its outdoor dining and view of the ocean, Vittoria on the Beach is the perfect setting for families and couples who wish to experience the beauty of Fiumicino. Located at: 38 Via Lungomare della Salute
- Scotland Yard Pub- Not only does this pub have a wide selection of beers, their menu is rather vast as well. Plates range from panini to steak dinners, at the Scotland Yard Pub you are sure to find something you like. Located at: 32 Via Attilio Corrubia
- Ristorante Cinese Miao Peng, Viale Delle Meduse - 00054 Fiumicino, ☎ . When you are hungry for Chinese or Sushi.
- Hotel del Mare (Fiumicino Hotel), Via Lungomare della Salute, 111/c Fiumicino (Rome), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Modern and elegant 3 star Fiumicino Hotel, located on the beach, few minutes far from Leonardo da Vinci Airport.It has 19 rooms furnished in modern style and equipped with all comforts such as air conditioning, minibar, satellite tv and private bathroom. Superior Rooms are all equipped with private balcony.
- Hotel Mach2, Via Portuense 2465, ☎ , fax: +39 066505855, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aquamarina (Bed & Breakfast), 16 Via Torre Alessandrina, ☎ .
- Hotel Cancelli Rossi, 2443 Via Portuense, ☎ .
- Casa del Sole, 48 Via Giorgio Bombonati, ☎ .