Fjærland is a tiny town at the end of the Fjærlandsfjord, an arm of the Sognefjord. In Sogn og Fjordane county. It is a particularly enjoyable gateway to the Jostedalsbreen National Park, and is close to two glacial tongues.
If you want a close-up view of a glacier without actually climbing on it, then Fjærland is the place to go. In addition to this, Fjærland is Norway's bokbyen - book town. Almost every shop in the town sells a range of new and used books, and there is even an "honesty book shop", not far from the ferry stop, where books are sold from a stand without any staff.
Fjærland is on route 5 between Sogndal and Skei, witch is on E39.
In summer, Fjærland is reachable by ferry from Balestrand, a trip that gives ample photo opportunities - there's an amazing view of the Josteldalsbreen glacier behind the fjord as you approach the town.
There are a number of buses each day to nearby towns, including Sogndal and Skei, both five times daily. Be aware that the bus stop is actually 2 km out of the town centre, just across the road from the Norwegian glacier museum. It's a bit of a walk, so leave ample time to avoid missing what might be your only bus out of there.
A bus leaves from the ferry port once a day in May and September, twice a day in June–August, taking passengers firstly to the Glacier Museum and then to the glacier. Alternatively, catch a taxi, hire a bike at the tourist office, or use your own car.
- Bøyabreen is located near Route 5 towards Skei. It is possible to see the glacier from the parking space. Otherwise walk for about 5 min to the little lake in front of the glacier.
- Fjærland Kyrkje (Fjærland Church). Jun-Aug: 10AM-6PM. Built in 1861.
- Norsk bremuseum (Norwegian Glacier museum), Fjærland, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Jun-Aug: 9AM-7PM, Apr-May and Sep-Oct: 10AM-4PM. This museum gives a good insight into how glaciers were formed, along with an impressive film taken from atop the Jostalsbreen glacier. Also visitorcenter for the national park. Experience exhibition about climate changes e Adults:120 kr, students: 60 kr, children: 60 kr, family: 260 kr.
- Supphellebreen. 10 km on a side road from the village.
- Glacier walk (Meet at Bøyum Camping), ☎ , . 1 Jul-31Aug: At 8:15AM. A tour suitable for person with some physical training. Treking for nine hour, including 3 hour on the glacier. Only children over ten year.
- [dead link]Kayaking, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Different tours on the fjord. Two hour tour: kr 340.
- Bookstores. Fjærland is Norway's "book town". Virtually every shop - from the tourist office to the sandwich shop - sells a range of new and used books.
- Kaffistova. 10AM-5.30PM.
- Onkel Mikkel (In Mundal Hotell). 1.5.-30.9 1 May-30 Sep: 8PM-11PM.
- Bøyum Camping (Next to the glacier museum), ☎ , fax: . Camping ground and cabins.
- Mundal Hotell, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Traditional hotel built in 1891. At the fjord.