Flims is a historic town in the Surselva valley yet not in the district of Surselva it is in Imboden. Flims has several distinct areas/unofficial districts/neighborhoods the most recognised being Flims Waldhaus and Fidaz, Fischeisch is a neighborhood at the top of Flims, the town tends to center around the base station in winter and the main street in summer. Flims is also part of a 220 km² ski resort known as the 'Alpenarena', the 'Weisse Arena', Flims Laax Falera or just Laax. The third of these names is the most descriptive, the resort links these three villages together, yet all three retain distinct identities. From the Flims base station lifts run to Plaun and Foppa. Traditionally the economy of the town was based on agriculture, farmers would bring their fresh milk into town every week for villagers to buy, cutting the long grass in the meadows by hand. Flims nowadays relies on skiing and tourism, with a UNESCO World Heritage Site to its name, the iconic Flimserstein, the aquamarine Lag la Cauma (Lake Cauma) and being the meeting point of Romansch and Germanic Swiss cultures and languages, Flims certainly has much to offer.
- 1 Via Nova 62, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-12:00, 13:00-16:00, Sa 08:00-12:00, 13:00-17:00, closed mid-October until mid-December.
- By plane and public transport
The nearest airport is Zurich International, from here the train is a simple and quick way to get to Flims. From the airport change in Zurich HB, and take trains to Chur, which takes around 1hr 40mins. A Post Bus runs from just above the station straight to Flims.
- By Car
From Zurich, the car journey takes around 2 hours, cars are available to rent at the airport, motorways 3 then 13 followed by secondary road 19 bring you to Flims.
- By bus
In winter several free bus routes operated by the 'Alpenarena' ski resort run around Flims, this stops during the summer however and the only option is the Post Bus running along the main road.
- By bike
Electro-Bikes are available to rent from the base station in Flims, these include batteries which boost the rider and replenishing stations are situated around the resort.
- 1 Alpenarena (235 km in winter, 28 lifts). Skiing is the major winter activity here. The Alpenarena ski area is shared with Laax and Falera and has its highest point on the glacier at 3018 metres altitude. Skiers are mostly Swiss, but recently more English can be heard as the place is being discovered more and more by foreigners. From Flims a cable car and a chair lift (both located next to each other) give access to different areas of the ski domain. Day pass Fr. 77/26.
- Restaurant Little China, Flims Waldhaus.
- Restaurant Epoca, Flims Waldhaus.
- 1 Casa Las Caglias, Via Las Caglias 3, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel am Waldrand, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.