Foggia is the capital of the province of Foggia in the Puglia region. The area is known for agriculture: olives, grains, grapes, and Buffalo Mozzerella. The population is about 150,000.
Foggia is served by a flight from Milan Malpensa with Itali Airlines.
There are good connections from Rome in 3½ hours or a high-speed train from Milan will get you there in just under 7 hours.
The train station is a block away from a National rental car office.
Visit the farmer's market east of Centro. Also, Foggia is close to Lucera, an old walled city, and adjacent to the Gargano peninsula.
There are an abundance of restaurants in Foggia.
- Da Nino al Grottino, Teatro 13 on the edge of "Old Town", around the corner from the Teatro. This is a fun pizza place with a nice antipasta spread. It is often packed after 20:30. Wood fired pizza oven and good service.
- Giordano Da Pompeo, On the opposite side of the Teatro is a nice restaurant with white linen table cloths. Vico al Piano 14
- Del Cacciatore Di Gaetana, v. Mascagni 12. A family-style restaurant that has great food. Just a block from Grottino.
There are several nice restaurants in this area of the Old Town.
- zia Marinella, Via Saverio Altamura, 23: great food! +39 330654510 Just a block from the Teatro adjacent to Old Town.
- Hotel Mercure Cicolella. This hotel is next to the train station, rental car agency and downtown businesses. The hotel has high speed internet for an extra fee and breakfast is included. The rooms facing inside are quieter.