Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Fort Foote Park, 8915 Fort Foote Road, Oxon Hill, ☏ . Park grounds are open 8AM to sunset year round; the parking lot opens at 9AM, entry before that is for pedestrians only. Fort Foote is a historical fort that defended Washington DC against naval attack on the Potomac River. It was active during the US Civil War, from 1863 to 1878, with brief usage during World War I and II. It has been part of the US National Park Service since the end of World War II. The park contains two Civil War cannons and has opportunities for hiking and fishing. Free entry.
- 2 Fort Washington Park, 13551 Fort Washington Road, ☏ . Park grounds are open 8AM to sunset; the visitor center and the interior of the fort are open 9AM to 5PM in the summer and 9AM to 4PM from November to April. Fort Washington is the historical fort that defended Washington DC against naval attack on the Potomac River. It was built in 1809 and was active during the War of 1812 and was an important site in the US Civil War. It became part of the US National Park Service in 1946. The visitor's center has displays about the history. The fort has panoramic views of the Potomac River; one Sunday per month from April to October the park has Civil War artillery demonstrations. The grounds are bordered by the Potomac River with opportunities for fishing, bird watching and sighting other wildlife. There is a 3-mile perimeter trail along the river and through the woods around the park. Entry is $10 per vehicle or $3 per pedestrian from May through October, free entry in the winter.
- 3 Harmony Hall mansion and grounds, 10702 Livingston Road (Park at the Harmony Hall Regional Center), ☏ . Open sunrise to sunset. Harmony Hall mansion is on 62.5 acres of open pasture lands along the Potomac River. Built in 1769 as Battersea, it is the oldest building in Prince George's County. It has been owned by the National Park Service since 1966; the building and grounds are being renovated to restore the historical site. Free entry to the grounds.
- 4 Harmony Hall Regional Center, 10701 Livingston Road, ☏ . M-F 7AM-9PM, Sa 9AM-4PM, also open some evenings for concerts. Harmony Hall Regional Center includes an art gallery, fitness room, playground, classes and facilities and programs for seniors, adults, teens and children. The John Addison Concert Hall holds concerts and is the performance location for the amateur theater group, Tantallon Community Players. Free entry to use the facilities, concerts and performances may require ticket purchase.
- 5 Rosecroft Raceway, 6336 Rosecroft Dr, ☏ .