Fredonia is a small town in Northern Arizona.
Although it is debatable where the center of the town is, many locals say it is at Judd Auto. Others claim it is where highways 89A and 389 come together. Fredonia is a small town in a beautiful location. It is about 1.5 miles long from one end to the other. South of it is the Kaibab Plateau and the Grand Canyon. North of it is Zion and Bryce National Parks.
Fredonia is on US highway 89A and is a gateway city to the Grand Canyon. Most people who come to Fredonia are driving to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon or are Grand Canyon river rats (rafting tours of the Grand Canyon) on their way to Lees Ferry. The closest large city to Fredonia is Las Vegas, Nevada, about 200 mi (320 km), about a 3 hour drive to the west.
- The stars in this part of the world are incredible. There is very little light pollution.
- Judd Auto. Sells t-shirts that say Judd Auto- Beer, Guns, Ammo, Lotto and Center of the Universe bumper stickers.
- Prairie Dog Pottery (junction of highway 89 and 389). There are locally made pots and both unprocessed and processed rocks/gems here. The pots are well thrown, but have rather primitive glazes and decoration. The price you pay for seeing/buying pots and/or rocks is an ongoing editorial addressing everything from the local Mayor to the feds to the foreigners and, of course, east coast liberals. This fun continues even as you try to get back to your car.
- Sage House Grill & Restaurant, 465 S Main St, ☏ . A nice local feel and a good value.
- Buckskin Tavern. The longest bar in Arizona.
- Country Rose RV Park, 401 S Main Hwy 89A, ☏ . Check-out: noon. Park has showers, laundry, and WiFi. RV sites has hook-ups. Tent sites have water, charcoal grills, and 110v power plug. 50 Amp sites $35, 30 Amp sites $30, tent sites (2 adults max) $25.
Don't speed. Fredonia is one of only a handful of towns on the Arizona Strip and there are more law enforcement than in cities many times larger. There are speed traps on both the north and south limits of town.
- North-bound - on US 89A:
- South-bound - on US 89A south, then AZ 67 south:
- The North Rim of the Grand Canyon, about 75 mi (121 km) - with a view that is not as crowded as the South rim and is only open during the summer.
- East-bound - on US 89A:
- West-bound - AZ 389, then UT 59 and I-15.
|Routes through Fredonia|
|END Junction N E ← Kanab ←||N E||→ Jacob Lake → Vermilion Cliffs National Monument|
|Hurricane ← becomes ← Colorado City ← Pipe Spring National Monument ←||W E||→ END|