Freshford is a village in County Kilkenny in southeast Ireland; in Irish it's Achadh Úr, "fresh field". Its main sight is the remains of the 14th century Ballylarkin Abbey, incorporated into a later church.
Bernard Kavanagh Bus 10 runs twice M-Sa from Kilkenny to Freshford (20 min), Johnstown and Urlingford. At Urlingford there's a connection with Bus 8 from Roscrea via Thurles, on the main Dublin-Cork railway.
By road from Dublin take M8 to Junction 4 at Urlingford then follow R693 east. From Kilkenny take R693 northwest, 14 km.
You can easily walk between village and abbey. You'll need wheels to explore the surrounding countryside.
- 1 St Lachtain's Church, Church St, Freshford. C of I church built in 1731, incorporating the Romanesque porch and doorway from a church of 1100. That in turn replaced the first church of 622 AD, looted and destroyed by the Vikings.
- Freshford Cross on the village green was first erected behind Uppercourt Manor in 1622. Only the little ziggurat of its base remains, moved here in 1790 when the mansion was rebuilt. Hence Bohercrussia Street: Bothar na Croise, "Base of the Cross."
- Millennium Park is a pleasant green space north end of the village.
- Uppercourt Manor, Freshford R95 AH94. Mansion built in 1790 over the site of a medieval bishop's palace. In the 20th century it was variously a school, an antiques storeroom and an equestrian centre. It was sold in 2015 and the new owners intend to restore it as a hotel, but nothing's happened with that.
- 2 Ballylarkin Abbey (1.5 km west via Bohercrussia St). Built in 1350, this is a disused C of I church. It has fine Gothic carvings and architectural features, including a triple sedilia - where the priest and assistants sat.
- Three castles - medieval turrets - stand in the fields further west along R693. Clomantagh and Tubrid may be available for holiday rental, Balief is derelict. Don't go to the village of Threecastles east towards Kilkenny: it's notable for its lack of castles.
- Foulkscourt Castle is another turret northwest of Johnstown. It's tumbledown and inaccessible.
- 3 Ballyragget is a village 9 km northeast of Freshford, with an attractive central square, 19th century church and the 15th century turret of Ormonde Castle.
- Freshford Loop is an 8 km walking circuit through the fields southwest of the village. No dogs.
- Nuenna Farm Equestrian Centre, Kilkenny Rd (1 km from village on R693), ☏ . Family run equestrian centre.
- There's occasional talk of reviving the Odeon Cinema, but it's hard to see it prospering in such a small place. So all you get to see here is the Art Deco exterior.
- Lynch's Mace is open daily 07:00-22:00.
- Bar food in the pubs is your best bet. Mace store also has a small cafe.
- The village pubs are J Kavanagh's, Killeens and O'Farrell's.
- There's no camping or caravan site in this area.
- 1 Moate Farm B&B, Moate R95 XN4V (R693 east of village), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Friendly B&B on working farm, open Mar-Oct. B&B double €80.
- 2 Pomadora House, Clintstown Rd R95 H2C1, ☏ . Small B&B on a stud farm, friendly but showing its age. B&B double €70.
- 3 Kate's Rest B&B, Barna E41 N6C4, ☏ . Smart welcoming guest house. B&B double €90.
- 4 Cradóg B&B, Tubrid, Woodsgift E41 HW25, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A B&B on a beef farm. B&B double €90.
As of March 2021, Freshford has 5G from Three and mobile coverage from Eir, but no signal from Vodafone.
- Kilkenny is a lively small city with a medieval heritage.
- Castlecomer to the northeast has the Discovery Park and a coal-mining museum.
- Thurles in County Tipperary has a fine cathedral; near town is Holy Cross Abbey.