Frigiliana[dead link] is a mountain town in Andalucia, Spain. A white Andalucian village only 5 miles inland, the village itself is a labyrinth of charming narrow whitewashed streets with old Andalucian houses. Around the village are a series of tiled wall displays telling the story of the village during the Moorish occupation and the Reconquista (the expulsion of the moors from Spain).
Frigiliana is a testimony to the Moorish times in Andalusia. It is considered one of the places where this structure is still preserved. This structure can still be seen very well, especially in the town center. Many travel companies have recognized the beauty of this place and offer bus trips here. It can very often happen that the village is a bit overcrowded when several buses arrive at the same time.
Frigiliana is one of the oldest places on the Andalusian coast whose traces go back to the Phoenicians and the Romans. Over the millennia, many cultures have left their traces in Frigiliana so that the place is also known as the village of three cultures. What is meant by this is the Muslim, the Jewish and finally the Christian culture.
The place still reflects its village charm today, and thanks to its location on the southern edge of the Almijara-Tejeda Mountains, at 425m, there is a mild climate even in winter.
As soon as you arrive you will be recognized as one of the White Villages, and in the early years of the "tourist settlement" it was particularly popular with artists. This is reflected in the many shops with pottery and ateliers.
Frigiliana has been honoured several times as "Most Beautiful Village in Andalusia".
The nearest airport is Málaga Airport. 40 minutes drive from Malaga International Airport.
The nearest long-distance train station is Maria Zambrano train station in Málaga.
Frigiliana is via a shuttle bus line with the central bus station connected by Nerja.
The best way to get to Frigliliana is via the Autopista del Mediterráneo A-7 coastal highway ( Symbol: AS km 295 - Nerja exit) and then continue north via the MA-5105 (approx. 4 km).
You can hire a taxi at Malaga Airport. The cost to Frigiliana is €78-100 for the approximately 65-km (40-mile) journey. A taxi to Nerja is about €6.
The town is easy to walk around, allowing that it is built on a number of hills. Parking is easy off season in much of the town. There is also a car park.
In the central square, on Calle San Sebastian, there are always taxis to get to the surrounding area and Nerja.
- Check out the animatronic Moor and parrot near the market place, by the police station. From the overlooking balcony at Ctra Circunvalacion, there is an excellent view over countryside and Nerja to the sea.
Walk around town. Take photos. Go hiking in the surrounding Parque Natural de la Sierra de Tejeda y Almijara.
There is a market Thursdays near where the buses stop, Ctra Circunvalacion. There are numerous small shops spread throughout town. There is a post office at the coast end of Av de Andalucia if you buy post cards.
At the entrance to the village you will find a small but well-stocked grocery store "bei Louisa" on the left. Andalusian ceramics are best bought in the "Artisania de Frigiliana", which is housed in a former factory building at the entrance to the village.
- Restaurante Romántica on San Sebastian Street - great food, beautiful terrace, superb wines.
- Al Fuente Restaurant, Calle Real. Fabulous tapas. Very small restaurant. Lovely atmosphere. Dutch owners.
- The Garden Restaurant. Cool and trendy. Fabulous views over the mountains and sea. Lovely!
A number of bars and cafes as well as shops which sell soft drinks. Locally produced Moscatel wine is also available.
- La Roca Rara, ☏ +44 20 8663-0552, +44 79 3241 0725 (bookings from UK Office), email@example.com. Private villa designed in the style of the Alhambra. At the foot of the Sierra Almijara Mountains 5 minutes to Nerja or Frigiliana Village. Very private secluded estate, tennis court,heated pool, 7 bedrooms, 40 minutes from Malaga International airport.
Taxi or bus. A bus to Nerja, bus to Málaga and bus to airport if you have the time.