It is one of a number of villages along the Costa del Sol that has grown up with and due to tourism.
The main airport is Malaga International and just about every airline in Europe runs regular flights into it. The cheapest options from the UK being the usual Ryanair, Jet2, EasyJet & Monarch Scheduled. Scandinavian Airlines and Norwegian from Scandinvia. Once on the ground you have a few options:
Fuengirola is a 25 km drive from Malaga airport. Numerous rental car agents operate from within the airport, but you can usually save a few Euros by going to cheaper rental companies across the road from the airport, rather than renting from a company inside
Fuengirola is 20 minutes by taxi from Malaga airport, and taxis are available 24 hours a day. Fares are usually €30–35 (depending on time & season). The usual, common sense rules apply when taking a taxi abroad: agree the rate in advance, and if the driver is being vague mention ask to see the rate card "to help him understand your requirement". All taxis are required to have one. Be aware of the minibuses, as they will often try to charge you €65 or more. It is alway recommended that you use the first in first out policy, commonly
This will take you approximately 35 minutes by light rail from Malaga airport. Fuengirola is the last stop. The station is situated about 2 minutes' walk from the terminal building, just go out of the door at departures and turn to the right. It's well sign posted. The fare is €2.80 (€2.80 Weekends and holidays) but make sure you hav change as it's self-service and there is almost always a ticket inspector., The first train leaves at 5.34AM and then every 20 minutes until the last train at 11:03PM and is very punctual indeed.
Fuengirola is a city, but chances are you will only visit the centre and beach front and it is possible to walk everywhere. The light train is excellent for getting up the coast as is the bus service. Both stations are in the centre of the city, 5 minutes walk from the marina.
- Beaches - there are more than 8 km of sandy beaches.
- Sohail Castle - a Moorish castle on the top of a hill next to the beach. In summer, it plays host to many different concerts.
- Plaza de Toros - the local bullring.
- Port - a marina and fishing port.
- Roman ruins - Visit the ruins left behind by the Roman Empire at the Torreblanca end of Los Boliches.
- Zoo Bioparc. This is even open during the night in the summer months - this is great for viewing the night animals.
- The Mijas Aquapark (located in Las Lagunas, Mijas Costa) just 5 minutes walk from Fuengirola center is a nice day out for the kids.
- Rent pedal boats, jet skis, parascending on the beach.
- Visit the Roman ruins at the Torreblanca end of Los Boliches
- Benalmádena port and the aquarium (about 10 km away).
- Train ride to Málaga.
- Feria week in mid-October every year. A mixture of music, flamenco, religion, horses, eating and drinking See the Spanish at play, when they party they do it seriously.
- Play golf at one of the many courses within easy reach.No absolutely no to any 26 handicapers, bandits
- Super Sol and Mercadona close to the train station for your shopping and cheap wine.
- Dunne's for the luxuries from home for the UK and Irish. Watch out, it's not the cheapest!
- Venture up to the centre of town from beach front. There is a great selection of shops and it's not bad price wise. Zara is a favourite but there are a wide range of other shops at good prices.
- Parque Miramar (get a taxi, 5 euros from Marina, or a Nr. 4 bus, €1.00) is a huge shopping centre on the edge of town. If you’re looking for a change it's worth a look.
- El Corte Inglés, a newly opened huge department store 10 minutes walk from the center, just walk Avenida de Mijas to the other side of A7 (Coastal road) underpass.
- Markets are open most mornings along the Costa. If you are unsure just ask where it is at any shop or from a taxi. For Fuengirola the days and locations are: Tuesdays in the Market square, Saturdays car boot sale in the Market square and Sundays next to the mosque.
- El Rio,The most popular restaurant all year round, booking essential in the Summer Period. Newly opened Tapas Bar next door with food from the same kitchen. Steak on the Stone is the option to go for. Located in a connecting alley behind the Yaramar hotel between the two backstreets towards the Los Boliches Church Square. Beautiful food from a traditional Spanish family run business. "
- The Tres Amigos, C/ Martinez Catena no 3. Good for lunch and evening meals at a fair price. The Mexican pizza is excellent and very clean. It is also child friendly.
- Ku Damm, German Restaurant on the waterfront. Head towards the marina right down to the water. Turn right once you reach the marina, you can’t miss it. The hanging Skewers are legendary. Their lunch menu is also good value.
- Fish Alley is the food quarter of Fuengirola; every possible food type can be got here. Just follow the crowd, on the beach front.
- The Punjab, C/Hernan Cortes (just up from PYR Hotel). Good for a take away when you want to stay in. The dishes are not as hot as you’d think but they are nice. Only average for sit down meal.
- Ying Bing, Chinese restaurant on C/de La Crus. Half way down "Fish Alley" and turn right. Chinese food in general is a little too greasy on the Costa but this place does a good lunch special. Note that lunch specials are always smaller than the same main meal!
- Sizzlyns. Pablo de Piccasso. Great varied menu in a quiet typically Spanish square behind the promenade. Excellent Steaks and food for the discerning diner at very reasonable prices. Large portions and clean home cooking.
- Casa Gomez, just behind the bus station in Fuengirola. Traditional Spanish breakfast. A three course Menu del Dia is only about €9.00 and is different every day. Speak to David, he is one of the friendliest waiters I have the pleasure of meeting.* Crepes'n Tapas Bar, , the only restaurant in Spain which is, at the same time, a genuine French Creperie and a genuine Spanish Tapas Bar. They offer more than 50 savoury crepes, more than 50 sweet crepes, more than 15 salads and dozens of different traditional or creative tapas. They are proud to offer special meals for restricted diets (vegetarian, gluten-free, egg-free, non-dairy, etc.). Calle OLLERIAS, 15 (between "Fish Alley" and Calle Capitán). Ph: 951-311-177.
- Travellers Pub, 20 Calle Ollerias (1 block behind fish alley and the El Puerto hotel), ☎ . 1300-0300. Absolutely the BEST nachos and burgers on the costa del sol...American style pub food at its finest moderate moderate.
- Molnar’s Schnitzel Haus, Fuengirola port, Local 23 (On the waterfront), ☎ . , Austrian and Hungarian Cuisine, lunch and dinner. Located in Fuengirola Port (Front line). Thursdays closed.
- Picolo, Avenida Jesus Santos Cautivo 7, Los Boliches, ☎ . Pizza, Pasta, Barbecue, Daily Specials, also Take-away / Home delivery. Opening hours: 12:00 to late every day.
This is very much personal taste and the kind of night you are out for. The clubs are mostly on the beach front and get going at around midnight. There are some very good bars towards the centre of town if the beach front isn't your scene. Nightlife in Fuengirola is amazing. There are places for both the young crowd as well as the elder. Most of the action is centered around the marina and the seafront promenade so this is a good place to rendezvous with friends for a sundowner.
- The Claret Jug Bar & Food, Close to the Port, in the alley (Fish alley) behind the hotel El Puerto on the sea front. Has a great pool table, good food and sports on T.V. Nice and friendly staff.
- The London Pub. At the beachfront and is one of the best-known bars in town. It's an English style pub with a big outdoor terrace - inside you can enjoy the latest dance music with the resident DJ.
- Nearby is the popular Beetle Bar complete with DJ housed inside a Beetle car!***
- At Hollywood Nights in the port you can dine and be entertained by well-known acts. Or try Moochers Jazz Café and Restaurant in Calle de la Cruz where you can listen to live music and munch your way through giant pancakes with every imaginable filling.
- Bar Kudos in Los Boliches is open seven nights a week and is a good starting point for gays to glean tips on the best bars, beaches and restaurants. Stuart's gay bar near the port has live cabaret every Friday and karaoke on Saturdays.* You'll find nightly karaoke at Zanadu's at Los Boliches and at many of the other bars on and around the seafront. Check the local English language papers and gig guides for details of live entertainment.
- The big clubs include the Millenium where you get the latest UK house music, the Funk Club Funk for hip-hop and Maxi's Disco, favoured by "oldies" who enjoy rock and roll and 60s and 70s music. Heaven's Gate Disco is the favoured nightspot of the young and trendy foreign visitors.
- Pig 'n' Whistle - Calle Ollerias
- Pogs, C/Lamo de Espinosa s/n (Fuengirola), ☎ . Irish bar decorated in the style of an old stone cottage but with contemporary interior. Shows all main sports events on several large plasma screens. Live music most evenings from 22.00hrs 'til late and the dance floor sees some action ! Great atmosphere for all age groups. (Located just down from entrance to PYR Apartments)
- Juan Antonio, Avnda. Ramon y Cajal #23 (just down from 3 horses roundabout), ☎ . 12 till late. Simply the best Thai food. Even a Thai chef. Take away and free delivery service. Forget fast food, this is fresh, fast and delicious. Great service. 6 euros.
- Bar Elements, 125 Paseo Martimo (On seafront next to Hotel Gardinia park). A little bit out of town but some of the best atmosphere and views on the coast. This Spanish bar is a locals bar but welcomes foreigners and is famous for its Mojitos. The bar has a cool crowd between 20 to 35 years old and plays all sorts of music, this is the ideal place to catch up with friends or people watch. Open at 17.00HRS
- Travellers Pub, 20 Calle Olleria (1 block behind fish alley and El Puerto hotel), ☎ . 1300-0300. American style Pub with the best burgers and nachos on the costa...Great music is always on and there is an open jam on Wednesday nights plus live music friday and saturday night. The Travellers Pub has the largest private terrace, comfortable seating and more....on the big projector screen is the XBOX Kinect and there is a pool table as well low.
- Travellers Pub, 20 Calle Ollerias (1 block behind fish alley and the El Puerto hotel), ☎ . 1300- 0300. Absolutely the BEST nachos and burgers on the costa del sol...American style pub food at its finest moderate.
- Plankstek Restaurante & Pizzeria (Plankstek), Paseo Marítimo Rey de España 86 (Los Boliches), ☎ . Restaurant and Pizzeria with a comfortably furnished restaurant and a stunning bar. Covered terrace with nice sea views.
- Hostal Italia, Calle de la Cruz, 1. in the very centre of town, close to the church square and close to the beach (70 m), 5 minutes walk from the train station, . A traditional hostal of a Fuengirola's family with private garage in the cellar.
- Stella Maris Hotel, Paseo Maritimo Rey de España 54 (On the beach front in Los Boliches). The rooms are nice and the staff is friendly. Great place for both young tourists as well as families. Stella Maris has 24-hour reception, two lifts, a restaurant and bar. There is also a small swimming pool with sunbathing area.
- Apartotel La Jabega. On the beachfront, 200 metres from the resort centre. Guestrooms are equipped with all the amenities you would expect from a hotel of its class, including satellite TV, a telephone, terrace, in-room safe and an ensuite bathroom, with bath only. The La Jabega Apartments Hotel also features a luggage room and currency exchange service
- Hotel IPV Beatriz (Hotel IPV Palace & Spa), Ctra. A7. Km. 207, ☎ 902 10 10 12, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hotel Las piramides Fuengirola, C/ Miguel Marquez, 43, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Apartments Ronda4 Fuengirola, Paseo Marítimo Rey de España, 96 CP 29640 Los Boliches, Fuengirola, Malaga, España., ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Apartamentos Nuriasol Fuengirola, Avd. Francisco Rivera "Paquirri" 23-25, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Hotel Itaca Fuengirola, Avenida de Santa Amalia, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.