Gemer is a region in Eastern Slovakia. Together with Orava, Liptov and Spiš, Gemer belongs to the most beautiful Slovak tourist regions. Its popularity has been growing thanks to the activities of various civic associations, and thanks to its authenticity.
- 1 Rožňava. The economic and tourist centre of the Gemer, it has a beautiful historic town centre.
- 2 Betliar. manor house, churches
- 3 Dobšiná. Dobšinská ice cave
- 4 Jelšava.
- 5 Krásnohorské Podhradie. Its 13th-century castle, Krásna Hôrka, is one of the country's best-preserved castles.
- 6 Muráň.
- 7 Plešivec.
- 8 Revúca.
- 9 Štítnik.
- 10 Tornaľa.
- 1 Slovak Karst National Park — known for its caves, together with the Aggtelek cave systems they make up a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 2 Muránska planina National Park — with Muráň castle
- 3 Slovak Paradise — with the beautiful valley of Hnilca
The region used to be important mainly because of mining, mainly iron ores were mined here. Due to mining, German colonists moved here, thanks to which the Reformation later spread here. A number of smelters and ironworks operated, most of which no longer operate. However, many traces of the mining activity have remained in the region, such as old tunnels and heaps, mining settlements, or unused smelter buildings.
Gemera is among the poorest regions of Slovakia. Unemployment reaches almost 25% in three districts.
There is frequent train and bus service to Rožňava.
The caves of the Aggtelecký karst and the Slovak karst are registered in the UNESCO World Heritage List. They are a series of over 1000 karst caves spread out along the border of Hungary and Slovakia, with an exceptional diversity of karst structures and complex cave systems developing from both temperate and tropical processes.
Other sites include:
- Rožňava centre
- The Gothic Way, a collection of medieval churches notable for their fresco painting
- Rimavské Janovce, which used to be a Romanesque monastery church
- Krásna Hôrka, a popular castle in Krásnohorské Podhradie that is not accessible
- Betliar Manor, the only manor in Slovakia with original equipment
- Radvanszkých Stárňa Manor - the interior and historical park are being renovated and are not accessible
- The mansion in Jelšava, a massive mansion of the Koháry and Coburg families, which is undergoing restoration
- Murán Castle, a well-preserved ruin with an excellent view in Muránska planina
- Gemer couplings, tunnels and a viaduct of the never-completed railway line
There is a ski centre in Dedinky (the former villages of Štefanovce and Imrichovce).
The water reservoir Palcmanská Maša has accommodation, sports and recreation facilities on its banks. Fishing facilities are located right on the lake.