Geoagiu is a town in Hunedoara County, Transylvania, Romania. It is on the Mureş river at an altitude of 217 meters. The river with the same name (Geoagiu) flows in this place into the Mureş. The town has a population of about 6,500.
The first settlements in the area can be found in the time of the Dacians, in the 1st century BC, as shown by archeological discoveries. After the Roman conquest, the Romans built the fort of Germinsana in the 2nd century, however, it kept the original Dacian name.
The name of Germisana meant hot water and it showed that the Dacians already knew of the thermal springs of the area. Another opinion that the name came from the Hungarian name of the river Gyógy which means curative. But more probably, the name is coming from the Hungarian word dió (nut as fruit) with the suffix -d, so, after the first documentary citation, villa Gyog from 1291 appeared as Dyod és Dyog (1397), Aldyogh (1407), Algyogh (1412), Aldyod (1439), Alsodyod alio nomine Alsoffalwa (around 1444).
To reach Geaogiu you must take county road DJ 705 which is a branch from E68/DN7 between Orastie and Sebes.
You can get around on foot.
- Roman Camp. South of the village Cigmău, near Geoagiu.
- Rotonde Type Church.
- Roman Baths.
- Geoagiu Resort Spa. Is situated at a distance of 6 km from the center of Geoagiu commune at an altitude of 350 m, in the hills of the south-east of the Apuseni Mountains.Geoagiu baths were known as the "Thermae Germisara" since Roman times. Relics and archaeological traces found inside the bath shows a strong and permanent service in the Roman period. Water from Geoagiu springs is calcareous and ferruginous with a temperature of 33 ° C.The waters of the resort are used both in internal cure and as a bath for rheumatic diseases, paralysis, etc. Ferric sludge that is found here is also used for the therapeutic purposes.
- Go dancing at Tarabostes Club. Located inside Baile Daco-Romane Complex with a capacity of 4,000 people on two dance floors.
- Madei Gorge-12 km
- Ardeului Gorge - 12 km
- Bacaiei Gorge - 14 km
- Cibului Gorge - 15 km
- Glodului Gorge - 12 km
- Cigmaului Cave
- Geoagiu-Bai Fall
- Geoagiu-Bai Cave
- Restaurantul Agrementul, Bloc P1 Parter.
- Restaurantul Germisara, Geoagiu Bai, ☏ .
- Hotel Germisara, Strada Germisara Nr.1B, Geoagiu-Băi, ☏ . This big hotel tower is kind of like the flagship accommodation of Geoagiu and features an indoor pool, restaurant, and spa.
- Hotel Diana, Strada Germisara 1B, Geoagiu-Băi, ☏ . Restaurant, massage service, indoor pool, playground.
- Hotel Ceres, Strada Vilelor 10, Geoagiu-Băi, ☏ . Spa resort with indoor pool and massages and restaurant.
- Casa Decebal - Cazare Geoagiu Băi, Strada Germisara 1a, Geoagiu-Băi, ☏ . This one is very homey, and you can feel like one with the Romanian architecture.
Geoagiu area code is 254 for Romtelecom and 354 for RDS.If you are calling from Romania you must dial 0254(0354) and if you are calling from abroad you must dial +40254(+40354).