Although Gibsons is on the British Columbia mainland, the Sunshine Coast is not accessible by road. Vehicle access is by BC Ferries from Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver, a 40-minute crossing or a ferry from Vancouver Island. Gibsons is best known in Canada as the setting of the popular and long running CBC Television series The Beachcombers, which aired from 1972 to 1990. The storefront "Molly's Reach", now a cafe, the restored tug Persephone, and a display about the series at the Sunshine Coast Museum and Archives are popular Gibsons attractions. Gibsons is a popular retirement destination, and has also attracted many artists and musicians.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The town was established in 1886 by George Gibson and his sons. It was incorporated in 1929 as "Gibson's Landing", and in 1947 the name was changed to "Gibsons" at the request of the residents. The town is now split between the seaside area known as "Lower Gibsons" and "Upper Gibsons. "Lower Gibsons" is mostly residential, but also has shops and restaurants that cater mostly to vacationers. "Upper Gibsons", which is clustered along Highway 101, contains the commercial areas of town, including Sunnycrest Mall, the town's two major supermarkets, and a variety of fast food restaurants.
- 1 Langdale Ferry Terminal (5 km northeast of Gibsons on Hwy 101). Operated by BC Ferries. The ferry out of Horseshoe Bay (in West Vancouver) leaves every 2 hours and it is a 40-minute ferry ride to Langdale. First and last sailings of the day are dependent on the season and time of week, so check online. Cost is $12.85/$6.45(adult/child) in peak season; cars are $43.20. The fare to Langdale is return, so you do not have to pay to leave.
Gibsons is accessible by float plane to the harbour and by small aircraft to Sechelt Airport (YHS IATA), approximately 20 km (12 mi) northwest of town. The nearest major airport is located in Vancouver (YVR IATA).
Gibsons is on the south end of Highway 101 (Sunshine Coast Highway); however, ferry travel is required. Highway 101 continues northwest.
- Nicholas Sonntag Marine Education Centre, 473 Gower Point Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Houses 30 exhibits displaying natural habitat and local marine fish and invertebrates from the waters of the Howe Sound.
- Sunshine Coast Museum & Archives, 716 Winn Road, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 10:30AM-4:30PM. Small museum showcasing the local history.
- Kayak or canoe - explore the waters off Gibsons Harbour, venturing over to local islands like Keats Island and Gambier Island. Alternatively, kayak up Sechelt Inlet, watching out for dolphins and deer.
- Fishing - Gibsons offers prime salmon fishing: coho, chinook, chum, pink, and sockeye. Further up the coast, anglers love the trout fishing at Trout Lake, Sakinaw Lake, and Ruby Lake. Fishing charters and equipment rentals are available.
- Hiking up Soames Hill offers a superb view of the region around Gibsons
- Gibsons Public Market, 473 Gower Point Road, ☏ . Tu-Su 10AM-6PM (coffee window opens at 8:30AM). Grab farm-fresh produce and crafts by local artisans. The Market is also home to the Nicholas Sonntag Marine Education Centre, where you learn all about the local underwater world in Howe Sound.
- Drift Cafe & Bistro, 546 Gibsons Way, ☏ . 9AM-10PM. Farm to table restaurant, serving west coast cuisine, focusing on local and seasonal ingredients, beer and wine.
- 1 Molly's Reach, 647 School Road, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Daily 8AM-3PM. One of the chief locations in the CBC’s longest running Canadian drama The Beachcombers. Specials are posted daily, soups are made from scratch and the desserts are baked in their own kitchen. The coffee is roasted locally by the Strait coffee company.
- Smoke On The Water BBQ Shack, 611 School Road on the wharf, ☏ . Summer: W-M 11AM-6:30PM. All meat products are smoked on site with hardwood to create the southern flavours for pulled pork, chicken, fish and brisket sandwiches. Sandwiches $11-18, mains $11-24.
- Smitty's Oyster House, 643 School Road, ☏ . Summer: Tu-Sa noon-late, Su noon-8PM. Oysters and seafood, burgers, chicken wings and steaks.
Pubs & breweries
- Blackfish Pub, 966 Venture Way, ☏ . Daily 10AM-midnight. Pub with full menu.
- Persephone Brewing Company, 1053 Stewart Road, ☏ . Summer (May long weekend-Sept long weekend): M-W 11AM-7PM, Th-Su 10AM-9PM; Winter (Sept long weekend-May long weekend): Tu-Su 11AM-7PM. 11-acre farm and craft micro-brewery.
- Tapworks Brewing Company, 537 Cruice Lane, ☏ , email@example.com. Su M 11AM-11PM, Tu-Th 1-11PM, F Sa 11AM-midnight. Microbrewery.
- Beachcomer Coffee Company, 264 Gower Point Road, toll-free: . Daily 7AM-5PM.
- Black Bean Cafe, 467 Marine Drive, ☏ . M-F 7:30AM-4PM, Sa Su 8AM-4PM.
- Gibsons Coffee, Tea & Herbs (Bowen Island Roasting Company), 459 Marine Drive, ☏ . Daily 9AM-5PM.
- Caprice Bed & Breakfast, Gower Point Road, ☏ . On an acre of ocean view land, surrounded by majestic west coast cedars. A BBQ is available for guest use. Breakfast provided. Swimming pool, hot tub, gardens and terrace.
- The Bonniebrook Lodge, 1532 Ocean Beach Esplanade, ☏ , toll-free: . A 7-suite Lodge sitting on stunning ocean front property. Restaurant on site. From $242.
- Gibsons Garden Hotel, 963 Gibsons Way, ☏ , toll-free: . 52-room property within easy walking distance of restaurants, galleries and boutiques and 1.5 km from the waterfront. Hot breakfast included, heated indoor pool, a dry sauna, a well-equipped fitness room, garden courtyard and business center. Free Wi-Fi, free parking, self-serve laundry. From $154.
- Sunny Crest Motel, 835 Gibsons Way, ☏ . Free Wi-Fi, mini fridges and microwaves in every room, and cable TV. A few pet-friendly rooms. From $100.
- Gibsons Visitor Information Centre, 417 Marine Drive, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Jun: Daily 10-4PM; Jul-Aug: Daily 9AM-5PM; Oct-Apr: W-Su 10AM-4PM. Located in the heart of Gibsons Landing in Pioneer Park, just steps from the public wharf and has a great view of Gibsons harbour. Carries maps and a wide range of free resource materials.
|Routes through Gibsons|
|Powell River ← Sechelt ←||N S||→ ferry → West Vancouver|