Gisenyi is a city in Rubavu district in Rwanda.
Gisenyi is a town on the north shore of Lake Kivu on the border with DR Congo (Goma) Gisenyi is coterminous with Goma, the city across the border in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Kampala Coach has a bus to Kampala Uganda. 14 hours.
there is a ferry going from Gisenyi to Cyangugu via Kibuye every Wednesday and sunday at 7am. the one way fare from Gisenyi to Kibuye is Rwf 2,500. and to Cyangugu Rwf 6,000. the ferry has been working since march 2014.
Gisenyi is a small town and can easily be gotten around on foot, alternatively there are hundreds of Motorbike Taxis around.
- Bralirwa brewery.
- Pfunda Tea Factory (5 km from Gisenyi). 8am-5pm.
- Lake Kiva and the Public beach..
Situated on the north of Lake Kivu, it also offers many opportunities for water sports or for excursions on the lake.
Gisenyi town features a resort on the shores of Lake Kivu, with best hotels and biggest sandy beaches. The area is also known for water sports. The northern shore of the lake on which Goma and Gisenyi lie is a flat plain featuring lava formations from the eruptions of nearby Nyiragongo Volcano.
- Wildlife Tours, Gorilla Trekking, Historical & Cultural, Village visits,
Volunteer, Walking & Trekking, Kayaking & Boat trip, Community based Tours, Sightseeing Tours.
- Bank of Kigali. has a Master card and Visa card ATM.
- EcoBank. has a Master card and Visa card ATM.
- Centre d’Accueil de l’Église Presbytérienne, Ave du Marché, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Looks like the one of the cheapest places in town for travelers to stay. This church-run place is quiet and clean. Local restaurant open workdays serves breakfast (2500 RWF) as well as buffet dinner (2500 RWF). Dorm bed Fwf 3,000 Room from 5,000.
- City Lodge, Rue de Ruhengeric, ☎ . room with shared bathroom Rfr 8,000.
- Auberde de Gisenyi, Ave de Ummuganda (close to the market), ☎ . single/double rooms with own bathroom. Rfr 7,000/8,000.
- Africano Guest House (near the Mosque). double room with own bathroom Rwf 8,000.
- Methodist Church Centre d Accueil (north of town centre. near the bus station.), ☎ . dorm beds. single/double rooms. shared hot water bathrooms. Rfr 2,000/5,000/8,000.
Gisenyi is right on the border with DR Congo and you can easily walk there, most nationalities can get an 8 day Congolese visa at the border for $35. Plane trips can be made from here to view the Nyiragongo volcano craters.