Gjilan is a town in Kosovo, in the southeast linked with the highway of Pristina, Serbian Border and North Macedonian Border.
In the Ottoman Defter of 1455, it is said that this settlement had 41 houses, and according to the cadastral de fi cation of 1566–1974, there were 38 houses and 12 single. This place of residence is later mentioned in written documents and in different descriptive directions.
Another opinion says that an Ottoman officer who stayed in this settlement was from an Gjejlan, somewhere in Syria or elsewhere in the Middle East and has baptized with that name, while the most realistic opinion lies in the fact that in Gjilan, around the year 1750 the (Gjinolli Family) was established, which came from Novoberdo, belonging to the Gjinaj tribe, so also this family (Bahti Beg Gjinolli) got its name. It is said that the first settlement of Gjilan was the most northwest in today's Dardania I neighborhood, but since 1830 it included a fire and burned completely. The Gjinolli family then moved the city to the east, in the midst of today's commodity and market house, a neighborhood that also called Begler's Corner.
The icons of the city are:
- Idriz Seferi who died in war for the freedom in 927.
- Agim Ramadani who died in the last war against Serbian occupation in 1999.
- Rexhep Mala who died protecting himself in a fight with the Serbian Police in 1984.
- Nuhi Berisha who also died in the same night with his friend Rexhep Mala in 1984.
- From Bujanoc to Prishtina stop at the bus station here. There are also dedicated buses from Pristina bus station (60 minutes) cost €2.
- From Ferizaj stops at the bus station (30 min) cost €1.50.
- From Prizren stops here (120 min) costing €5.
The mosque and the church (roughly 500 meters from the bus station) can be accessed from Ibrahim Rugova st. through forward to the Mosque Xhamia e Madhe and left at Nena Tereze st. to the Orthodox church. The museum is near of post and telecom of the city.
- 1 Taxi Luli, Nato 99, toll-free: 0800-66-666. €0.85/km.
- 2 Taxi Shaqa, Haki Myderizi, toll-free: 08000-1000. €0.85/km.
- 1 Atik Mosque, Zija Shemsiu.
- 2 City Museum, Adem Jashari. 08:00-16:00. €1.
- 3 City Square, Ibrahim Rugova. 24/7.
- 4 Municipal Assembly, Ibrahim Rugova. 08:00-17:00.
- 5 Dardania I and II, Muharrem Ibrahimi. 24/7.
- 6 Orthodox Church, Nena Tereze.
- 7 Hill of Martyrs, Lot Vaku. 24/7.
- 8 Livoqi Lake, Fehmi Agani. 24/7.
- 9 Mirusha River. 24/7.
- GuideKS (Kosovo Tourist Guides Association), firstname.lastname@example.org, ☏ +38349372639, email@example.com. umbrella organization of tourist guides in Kosovo. They will put you in touch with a local guide suitable for your activity.
- 1 Baresha, Pasjak, ☏ +383 44 151 159. 10:00 - 23:00. Meat with sauce.
- 2 Labinoti Steak House, Fehmi Agani. 08:00 - 22:00. Steak
- 3 Pojata, Fehmi Agani, ☏ +383 44 709 853. 08:00 - 00:00. French fries
- 4 Garden, Fehmi Agani, ☏ +38344154177. 08:00 - 22:00. Beef.
- 5 Sky Rooftop, Fehmi Agani. 10:00 - 20:00. Lasagna.
- 6 Vali Ranch, Vellezerit Rexhepi, ☏ +38345506863, firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00 - 23:00. Italian pastas.
- 7 Shaqa, Skenderbeu. 24/7. Pizzas.
- 8 Gersheta, Gjilan-Stanishor, ☏ +38345611050. Traditional food.
- 9 Bujana, Lidhja e Prizrenit. Traditional food sauce with bread.
- 1 Papaku, Zija Shemsiu.
- 2 Tribeca, Adem Jashari, ☏ +38349777345.
- 3 Savanna Bar, Abdullah Tahiri.
- 1 Hotel Kristal, Ibrahim Rugova.
- 2 Astoria Resort, Skenderbeu, ☏ +38344888838, email@example.com.
- 3 Planet Resort, Egnatia, ☏ +38344134073, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Joni Ranch, Kamenice (200 m near the village of Berivojce), ☏ +38348117117. All types of horses and their breeds, as well as traditional foods. 0.70 EUR and up.
Makresh i Epërm region is mountainous area with developed agrouturism. Numerous villas are available.
- 5 Lura Agroturizëm (Lura), Makresh i Epërm (from Gjilan, head towards Novoberdo), ☏ +38344554468, email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. Lura includes: restaurant with local food and products from area farmers, guesthouses for accommodation, wine and brandy cellar, outdoor terrace, orchard, gardens and other recreational spaces. Lura is known for the processing of fruit from the orchard, and produces several types of brandy in the traditional way. Different vegetables are also cultivated and then used fresh in cooking. There's a mini-chicken farm as well.
Go in Prishtina to northwest and to Ferizaj to the southwest. Novo Brdo nearby is a rural area rich with history.
Go in Viti