Gokyo is a village in Khumbu at 4,790 m elevation.
The village forms the centre of the Gokyo trail.
Gokyo Valley is in the Everest region and offers views of the Everest Himalayas. The Gokyo lakes and Gokyo Ri have trekking opportunities through valleys, along lakes, and features Nepal’s biggest glacier: Ngozumpa.
- From the south via Machermo
- From the east via Dzongla and the Cho La
- From the west via Lungden and the Renjo La
In the Gokyo Valley region, Gokyo Lakes and Gokyo Ri trekking starts as you arrive at Kathmandu airport. You can go for cultural sightseeing at world heritage sites in capital city. It is possible to board short domestic flight to Lukla airstrip, followed by a trek to Phakding.
Arrive at Namche bazaar, the gateway to Everest region and pass through Dole, Macchermo and Gokyo in couple of days. While you are on Gokyo lakes and Gokyo ri trekking get an insight into local Sherpa’s culture, tradition and lifestyle.
From here you may do wonderful day hikes along the string of 'sacred' lakes and check out the fantastic views (in particular at sunset) of Everest, Cho Oyu, Nuptse, Lhotse, Makalu, etc., from Gokyo Ri (5,360 m) and Ngozumba Tse (aka Knobby View, 5,550 m) just north of the 5th lake.
- 1 Ngozumpa glacier. Gokyo Valley has Nepal’s biggest glacier formation
At Gokyo Valley can see four "eight-thousanders", mountain peaks over eight thousand feet: Mt. Makalu, Mt. Cho Oyu, Mt. Lhotse and Mt. Everest.
- 2 Cho La (The pass is on the Gokyo trail in the Khumbu Everest region. To the west the trail continues to the Gokyo Lakes, crossing the Ngozumpa glacier on the way. To the east the trail joins the Everest Base Camp trek.). summit pass located 5,420 m (17,780 ft) above sea level. From the east: after Pheriche, the trail turns off the main Everest route near Dughla (4620m) and passes through the village of Dzongla. From the west: in the Gokyo valley, the trail turns off the Machherma-Gokyo route near the First Lake (4710m) and passes through the village of Thangnak (Dragnag). The pass can be tough and may require crampons on the little glacier on top.
It is advisable to obtain advanced information regarding the conditions before proceeding from Dzongla or Thangnak. Good views of Lobuche Peak.
- 3 Gokyo Lakes. the world’s highest freshwater lake system comprising six main lakes, of which Thonak Lake is the largest
There are no shops in the village, but the lodges keep a stock of necessities, such as batteries, throat lozengers, bandages etc - but remember that prices increase with altitude, so expect to pay more than in Namche.
There is no other option besides the lodge where you will stay.
Most lodges offer a vast range of herbal teas, from ginger to mint and lemon.
There are seven lodges in the village with little difference between them.
- The Ngawang Friendship Lodge is a very clean and friendly place to spend the night and have good food.
- Gokyo Resort is the largest of them.