The original name was "Ghodegaon" , the combination of Ghode (Horses) and Gaon (Village), which was main Horse trading centre in the rule of Chatrapati Shivaji. There is nearby village named "Ghodeghoom" at 10km distance on steep hilltop. The warriors used to purchase horse from Goregaon (Ghodegaon) market after trial round at Ghodeghoom. There are three lakes in the village made to cater the water supply for the horse market.
Goregaon Road Railway Station, Kokan Railway, which is 1 km away from the town.
Maharashtra State Transport Buses are available from various locations in Mumbai. Other way is catch bus which goes to Mahad and further on Mumbai Goa Highway No. 17. Ask for "Lonere" stop. Get down at Lonere and catch rikshaw or share auto to Goregaon, which is 3 km from this place. Share auto costs ₹7 per passenger.
- Bheema Devi Peeth, Falani/Shirke Tamhani (From Goregaon 13 Km). Bheema Devi Peeth is the latest addition in the tourist spot around Goregaon. It has spectacular stone temple of Goddess Bhima with beautiful surrounding of 42 acres (16 ha). You will have breathtaking view of Goregaon periphery.To reach the temple drive down to Purar Phata, take Ambet road, when you reach at the top of Ambet ghat, turn right towards Khamgaon/Shirke tamhane road, after 2 km drive on right is the temple complex.
- Dr B A Technological University (BATU), Lonere, Goregaon (From Mumbai-Goa Highway 1 Km), ☏ . Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University is the only one of its kind in the State. The University is located at Lonere, the place in the ranges of Western Ghat, at the foot of Raigad fort, the place from where Chhatrapati Shivaji administered his major activities. It is autonomous in nature and Unitary in its character. It was established in 1989 by the Government of Maharashtra. Although relatively young, the university is making its mark in the field of research and technological services through its dedicated faculty and disciplined students.
- Kaal River. Enjoy the beautiful view of Kaal river.
- 1 The Mallikarjun Temple (Mallikarjuna Temple) (1 Km north side on the hill). Temple of Mallikarjun or Siddhesvar is said to have been built about 800 years ago. The shrine is said to be self-originated or Svayambhu. Situated on the top of the hill, bounding the village to the north, it is 413 (125m) feet in height. The Ganapati temple has a building which though unimposing is only of its kind in India, for the fact that the shrine has its upper half of the body of a male and the lower half that of a female. Existence of sricakra marks another distinguishing feature of this temple. To visit this temple you will have to climb 400 steps on the northern side hill of Goregaon. You will also enjoy the panoromic view of the town and Kal River from this hill top.
- Panhalghar Fort, Mulgaon, Panhalghar (From Mumbai-Goa Highway 4 km towards Panhalghar village). Panhalghar fort is one of the fort from King Shivaji era. You will have to climb the fort. The water tanks are still visible on the top of the fort.
- The Vithoba Temple (500 m from bus stop). The temple of Vithoba is 200 years old and has fine specimens of sculpture and carving on the pillars.
- PanchMukh Gayatri Temple: One of the few towns in Maharashtra to have Goddess Gayatri with 5 faces.
- Kalbhairav Gramdevta: This is in the heart of Goregaon town. This temple holds an annual Fair (Goregaon Jatra). People gather as far as Mangaon and Mahad to attend this fair. As a custom each village brings a laath (a heavy tree trunk) with much fun and fare (with dance and music) and place it near the temple.
- Balabhai Shop. Get the Nachani and Pohe (pressed rice flakes) at the rockbottom rates and speciality of the place.
- Hujare Fruit Mart, Navi Bazar Peth, (Opp. Old Visava Hotel). Get all types of fresh fruits & vegetables.
- Wayade Chana Shop, Shriwardhan Road. Try Chana and ground nuts fresh and hot. If you lucky and it is Friday get Masala Chana here.
- Ashapuri Hotel, Main Bazar (next to Grampanchayat). Quick, hot wadapav and bread pattice.
- Bus stop Roadside counters. Try tasty Wadapav, Dabeli, Panipuri and ice cream at dirt cheap rate.
- Hotel Sanman, Dr Ambedkar Chauk (300 m from Bus stop), ☏ . 10AM to midnight. Favourate joint of local and travellers for nonveg food, beer and liquor. Try fish fry of kingfish.
- Pansare Home made food [ pure veg mess], mahadev complex (Shrivardhan Road), ☏ . 10AM-9PM. Make sure to contact them before your visit, so that they can serve you on time. ₹45 per plate.
- Santosh Shelar Hotel, Bazar Peth. Famous local snacks joint. Try Chiwada,khaja and special tea. Try the femous and special dishes Vada-Pav And Kurma Puri.
- ST Canteen, Bus stop. 24 Hrs. Available for service for 24 hrs.
- Vasu Snacks, Shashi Plaza, oppo. N.M joshi vidyabhavan. All the breakfast foodstuff, pavbhaji, vadapav, misal, uttapa, dosa.
- Veena Restaurant, Shriwardhan Road. Only veg meals and snacks. Also takes party orders.
- Hotel Visawa, Lonere-Shriwardhan Road. Food and liquor available.
- Khalil Juice Centre. A cold drink hawker on Goregaon Shriwardhan Road.
- BATU Guest House (Anandvan), which is 4 km from Goregaon
- The University has a guest house located nearly in the center of the University campus: ₹75/- per occupant per day to the guardians of the students, teachers and staff members of the other universities and educational institutions; ₹125/- per occupant per day to others who would be coming for the personal reasons.
- Hotel Visawa, Main Bazar Peth,Goregaon
- Hotel Maharaja, Mumbai-Goa Road, Lonere
- Hotel Vinay, Mumbai-Goa Road, Lonere
- Fern Hotel in Goregaon (Fern Goregaon), 4/277, I.B Patel Road, Behind H.P Petrol Pump (I.B Patel Road), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. ₹3000.
- Goregaon Police Station 02140-250299
- Superintendent of Police, Raigad (Alibag) 02141-222093. Control Room- 222100
- Block Development Officer, Mangaon 02140-263002
- Block Development Officer, Mangaon 02140-263002
By bus: Maharashtra State Transport Buses are available from Goregaon and Lonere.