The hamlet of Gorst was the birthplace of Gorst Air Transport, a tiny carrier that was the basis upon which United Air Transport was built.
Aviation magnate William Boeing turned the small air service into the legendary company that now bears the United Air Lines name.
Gorst, located at the end of Sinclair Inlet, is a Kitsap crossroads. Hwy 3 leads north to Bremerton and beyond, and south to Belfair. Hwy 16 leads to Port Orchard, Gig Harbor and the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
Gorst is more like a business district strip mall kind of area. If you need a tire fixed or are shopping for a car this is the place.
- Kitsap Transit, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Kitsap Transit offers transit services throughout the area including pickup from all ferry terminals and connects with Mason Transit (Mason County), Pierce Transit (Pierce County), and Jefferson Transit (Jefferson County) offering connections outside of the area. full fare $2 and is part of the regional ORCA network system.
- Elandan Gardens, 3050 Washington 16, Bremerton, WA 98312, ☏ . waterfront gardens with world-class bonsai collection and landscape artistry along with the nursery, gift shop and gallery filled with antiques and treasures from Asia, Europe and North America.
- Sinclair Inlet Wildlife Viewing Area, 3958 SR 16 West to 3050 SR 16 SW (Between Elandan Gardens and Mattress Ranch). Viewing platform. Shoreline access by steep path, not wheelchair accessible. Left very wild. Winter nesting grounds for several species of sea birds.
- Jarstad Park, 4230 W. Belfair Valley Road, Gorst, WA 98312 (Entrance at W Belfair Valley Rd & Hamilton Rd), ☏ . Reservations required, but can walk in if arriving on foot. Easy access to Gorst Creek and the Suquamish Fish Hatchery. Horseshoes. Picnic tables, shelter, benches. Volleyball/Badminton.
- Gorst Gas Mart, 4121 State Highway 16 W, Bremerton, WA 98312, ☏ .
- Jimmy D's Burger & Steak House, 4017 State Hwy 3 W, Bremerton, WA 98312, ☏ .
- Quick & Tasty's, 4109 State Highway 16, ☏ , email@example.com. Locally owned independent burger joint. Grass fed beef. Locally sourced ingredients. "Tasty Bowls" include noodles, sushi, chicken, pork, beef. Famously good deep fried curds.
- Wig Wam Pub, 3548 W Belfair Valley Rd, ☏ . Not just a bar, but a top BBQ restaurant with large smoker on premises. They have their own micro-brews too.
|Routes through Gorst|
|Port Gamble ← Bremerton ←||N S||→ Belfair → Shelton|
|END ←||N S||→ Port Orchard → Tacoma|