The towns name dates back to Guanche eras, with Abona referring to a Guanche menceyato or kingdom that existed here before the island was conquered by the Spanish in the late 15th century. Abona was founded in 1445 and ruled by Atguaxoña, son of Axerax, whose son survived the conquest of Tenerife and was renamed Alonso Gonzalez after being baptized. Its territory stretched from Costa Adeje to the neighbouring kingdom of Güímar. The Spanish toponym Granadilla was only introduced in the 16th century.
Historical records indicate that there already was a church in town in 1575. A Franciscan convent was founded as well in 1665.
The airport of Tenerife Reine Sophia (Tenerife Sur) is 10 km south of the town, and on the administrative territory of the Granadilla de Abona municipality.
- 1 San Antonio de Padua church.
- 2 History museum of Granadilla de Abona (Museo de historia de Granadilla de Abona), Calle Arquitecto Marrero 3, ☏ . M-F 8:00-14:00. The Granadilla de Abona History Museum is located in a typical Canarian house dating from the late 1800s, in one of the stately streets of the historic center of the city. Opened in 2002, the museum houses several collections that take a tour through time. In its different rooms you will discover the steps followed by the municipality, its customs, work, and its most important history, from the time of the Guanches to the present day. All this chronologically related and supported with interesting photographs, images and utensils. It has a total of eleven rooms, among which the room dedicated to the aboriginal funerary world stands out, where you can observe a reproduction of the various types of burials next to its trousseau, as well as interesting facts about culture, agriculture, customs and Aboriginal rituals
- 1 Sansofe, Avenida Democracia 5, ☏ . Clothes shop specialized in sports wear for hiking and swimming gear.
- 2 Hiperdino, ☏ . Supermarket
It can be challenging to find an open restaurant around midday at the weekend, as many only open in the late afternoon or evening. Check restaurant opening hours in advance to avoid disappointments.
- 1 Tasca Tierras del Sur, Calle Pedro González Gómez 20, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 07:00-23:30. Widely considered the very best restaurant of Tenerife, this small traditional restaurant is run by a family with a passion for experimenting with different flavours. If you don't know what to pick from the menu, simply ask the owner to choose for you, and based on a few simple questions he's usually able to choose something you will love!