Grange-over-Sands is also called the "Lakeland Riviera", since the influence of the Gulf Stream gives it an exceptionally mild climate. It lies within The Historic County Boundaries of Lancashire.
This guide also covers the nearby villages of Cartmel, famous for its Sticky toffee pudding and Flookburgh.
There is a mile-long seaside promenade walk. The prom was built in 1904 and is especially lovely in spring with its colourful borders full of flowers and spring bulbs. There some great shops and lovely ornamental gardens with a collection rare ducks. There are plenty of cafés and tearooms to enjoy a cream tea or tasty lunch.
Up until the Furness railway was built in 1857 across two newly constructed viaducts that traversed the bay, the town was reached by crossing the dangerous sands of Morecambe Bay at low tide. Guided walks across the sands are available today to make the 8 mile crossing, which takes around 3 hours.
Grange over Sands is served by trains from Lancaster where connections can be made to services on the West Coast mainline between London and Glasgow, and with trains from Manchester, Birmingham and Edinburgh. Trains from Lancaster run around once per hour (less often on Sundays), taking about 30 minutes.
- Hampsfield Fell
- Cartmel Fell
- 1 Cartmel Priory. Founded in 1190
- Lakeland Miniature Village, Winder Ln, Flookburgh, LA11 7LE. 1st Mar - 31st Oct, 10.30 a.m. to 5pm.. £4.00.
- Duckys Park Farm, Moor Ln, Flookburgh.
- 1 L'Enclume (L'Enclume), Cavendish Street, Cartmel, LA11 6PZ, ☏ . One of the finest restaurants in England, with 2 Michelin Stars in 2019. Also offers accommodation. tasting menu £155, lunch £65.
- The Mallard. tea shop
- The Rose & Crown.
- 1 Lakeland Leisure Park (Lakeland Caravan Park), Moor Lane, Flookburgh, LA11 7LT, ☏ . One of the parks of the Haven Holidays chain.
- 2 Hardcragg Hall, 4 Grange Fell Road, LA11 6BJ, ☏ . Self-catering accommodation in historic Hardcragg Hall, a 16th-century manor house visited by Beatrix Potter.
- Clare House Hotel, Park Road, Grange-over-Sands LA11 7HQ, ☏ . Grand little hotel in Victorian villa, gets great reviews for comfort and service. Assistance dogs only. B&B double £180.
- 3 Aynsome Manor, Aynsome Lane, Cartmel LA11 6HH, ☏ . Charming manor house in Vale of Cartmel, great comfort and cuisine. Open Feb - late Dec. B&B double £150.