Graskop is in the Mpumalanga Province of north-west South Africa. It was set up in the 1880s as a gold mining camp but it now serves as a tourist destination and the timber industry. “God’s Window”, a scenic view from the escarpment of the Lowveld below, is near the town.
In 2011, it was home to 4,000 people. The name is Afrikaans for grassy hillock.
The town is part of the Panorama Route. Thanks to its location of about 1,400 m above sea level , Graskop has a temperate climate with a lot of rainfall, while during the summer months there is also frequent fog.
The Pinnacle, God's Window, Bourke's Luck Potholes, the Three Rondawels, Pinnacle Rock, Berlin and Lisbon Falls, the Echo Caves and other places on the Panorama Route.
Additionally, there are the following sites around Graskop:
- 1 Graskop Gorge Lift Co. (along R533 just south of Graskop), ☏ . M-F 10:00-15:30; Sa Su 08:30-17:00. Attraction consisting of a glass lift and suspension bridge abutting the expansive Graskop Gorge, with Motitsi Falls in focus. Also site of a zip-line and big swing for those looking for an adrenaline rush. Admission: adult R30, child R20; lift: adult R205, child R140.
- 2 Motitsi Falls. The main attraction in the Graskop Gorge.
- 3 Natural Bridge (off R532). Just a little travertine-like wayside on the north side of Graskop next to a rushing creek.
- 4 Forest Falls/Maria Shires Falls (park at Green Heritage Picnic Site 13 km south of Graskop on R532 (about 3 km north of Mac Mac Falls)). These falls are accessed via some short trails and are also pretty captivating though perhaps not as big as some of the others. Pay R20 to security guard.
- The Big Swing (at the Graskop Gorge Lift Co.), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 10:00-15:00; Sa Su 08:30-17:00. Take "The Big Swing", if you're not afraid of heights. R450.
- Zip Line, ☏ . M-F 10:00-15:00; Sa Su 08:30-17:00. other thrill ride at Graskop Gorge Lift Co. R180.
- 5 Jock of the Bushveld Trail, Graskop Holiday Resort on Louis Trichardt St, ☏ . Daily 07:00-17:00. Walk along montane grassveld for views of the Pinnacle Gorge. 8 km roundtrip, a shorter route is also available. A map is available at the resort. Some skip the fee and start at the trailhead but the resort offers safe parking. R15.
Stores along Louis Trichardt Ave such as:
- Africa Silks
- Delagoa Arts & Crafts
- Curio D'Afrique
- Shautany Chocolatiers
- Harrie's Pancakes, Cnr Louis Trichardt and Church St, ☏ . Savoury and sweet pancakes.
- 1 Valley View Backpackers, 47 Delange Street, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. A self-catering rondavel and cottage, an en-suite double room, a double room with shared bathroom, 2 twin rooms with shared bathroom, a 6-bed dormitory, 3 wooden cabins and space for camping are available. All types of accommodation have use of kitchen facilities, free tea & coffee, a sitting room to read or watch TV/DVDs and a wooden deck. There is also secure parking right next door, free of charge, and you will be given a key. From R160.
- 2 Rustique, 3 Richardson Ave, ☏ . Free breakfast, wifi, neat decor. R729.