It can be found along the Great Ocean Road.
The park slopes from about the 500 metre contour, north of which lies the plateau in the interior lies, to the Southern Ocean. Much of the park is in a rainforest area and has luxuriant growth. It is traversed by a number of small rivers and many waterfalls.
Flora and fauna
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The park has a temperate coastal climate and, given its range of altitude, differances can be found across the park. The average maximum temperature at Apollo Bay (on the coast is 23°C and at Colac (30 km to the north of the park) is 28°C while the average minima are 6°C and 4°C respectively. The park faces the ocean and parts are in rain catchment areas - Apollo Bay receives about 1000 mm per annum.
Fees and permits
The park spans up to 40 km from east to west and a similar distance from north to south and is relatively unpopulated. The shire of Colac (which encompasses the whole park) has a population of 21,ooo of which 12,000 live in Colac (30 km to the north of the park) and 1600 in Apollo Bay (bordering the park on the east). There is a weekly bus service between Colac and Apollo Bay, so unless you are on a package tour, it is almost essential that you have your own car.
- 1 Cape Otway Lightstation, Otway Lighthouse Rd, Cape Otway VIC 3233.
- 2 Blanket Bay, 80 Blanket Bay Rd, Cape Otway VIC 3233. Secluded bay with great views
- 3 Hopetoun Falls. Well preserved waterfalls. Stairs lead to a viewing platform very close to the foot of the waterfall.
- 1 Maits Rest Rainforest Walk, Great Otway National Park, Great Ocean Rd, Cape Otway. A boarded walk through the forest will give you a good taste of the park with not too much effort. The 800-metre trail can be completed in about half an hour.
- 2 Otway Fly Treetop Adventures, 360 Phillips Track, Weeaproinah VIC 3237, ☏ . Elevated walkway and zipwire through the rainforest canopy.
Apollo Bay offers a wide range of accommodation from hotels to bed & breakfasts. Accommodation is usually booked out during school holidays.
The area is known for severe fires in summer, so check conditions and fire alerts before you travel here.