The Greater Wellington region is the southernmost part of the North Island of New Zealand, governed by the Greater Wellington Regional Council. It is far bigger than just Wellington city, the area governed by the Wellington City Council. The population of Greater Wellington about 513,900.
Cities and regions
The region includes:
- Wellington, the capital city of New Zealand, consisting of Porirua and Wellington City itself
- Hutt Valley, consisting of Lower Hutt and Upper Hutt
- Kapiti Coast, with communities of Otaki, Paekakariki, Paraparaumu and Waikanae
- Wairarapa, including communities such as Masterton, Carterton and Martinborough
- Southward Car Museum, Otaihanga Road (off State Hwy 1), Paraparaumu, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. The largest private collection of cars and motorbikes in New Zealand, with over 200 cars.