Gruyères is a city in Switzerland and the capital of the district of Gruyère in the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland. Its German name is Greyerz. This medieval town is an important tourist location in the upper valley of the Saane river, and gives its name to the well-known Gruyère cheese. While its most famous landmark (other than the cheese) is the castle, the old town is lovely as well.
Gruyères is served by a train coming from the town of Bulle, which has regular services to Fribourg and Bern and thence to the rest of the Swiss railway network. From the railway station it's a 15 minutes walk uphill to the old town area. The cheese factory is just adjacent to the station.
- 1 La Maison du Gruyère. 09:00-18:00 (19:00 in summer). A cheese factory where Gruyere cheese is made. Fr. 7.
- 2 Gruyères Castle (Château de Gruyères), Rue du Château 8 (Follow the road up through the village to the top of the hill), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Nov-Mar 10:00-17:00, Apr-Oct 09:00-18:00. This castle was built in the 13th century. It is known mostly for its picturesque views among the hilly landscape. Fr. 12.
- 3 HR Giger Museum, Château St. Germain, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 10:00-18:00, reduced opening hours/days during winter. Here are famous works by the HR Giger, known for his design of the antagonists in the Alien and Species films. Make sure to also check out the HR Giger Bar opposite. Fr. 12.50.
- Try ice cream made from the local dairy herds.
- Enjoy the scenic "chemin de Gruyère" hike from Gruyères to Charmey through the spectacular Jaun gorge.
- Skydive (EPCO), ☏ . Take a dive from 4000 metres alone or tandem. Fr. 430 for a tandem jump.
You will be able to eat a cheese fondue made of Gruyère and Vacherin in every restaurants of Gruyères. Gruyères is also famous for its double cream which is served with meringues or berries.
- 1 [dead link] Hostellerie Saint-Georges Restaurant, Rue du Bourg 22, ☏ . Tu-Su 11:45-18:00, Sa 11:45-20:00. While the food is as ordinary as any other at this very touristy place, it has a glass wall with a very nice view on the surrounding region from the restaurant area.
- 4 Maison Cailler, Rue Jules Bellet 7, 1636 Broc (Hourly connections from Bulle to Broc-Fabrique (S60).), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:00-17:00 (16:00 during winter). Interactive tour through a chocolate factory and the history of chocolate. You won’t get to see much of the actual production, it’s mostly films and displays, but the chocolate tasting at the end of the tour is definitely the highlight. Fr. 12, free under 16 years when accompanied by an adult.
- Fribourg - capital of the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland