Guerneville is a town along the Russian River in California. Pronounced "Gurnville", the town is known for environmental and gay activism as well as its beautiful redwood forested riverside site.
The nearest large airport is San Francisco International Airport. The closest small airport is Charles M. Schultz Sonoma County with nonstop service to/from Seattle, Los Angeles, and Portland.
By car from San Francisco, follow Highway 101 North to the "River Road" exit just past Santa Rosa. Turn left at the traffic signal. Guerneville is 16 miles west.
Having a car is important. You can get to Guerneville using public transportation, however is not easy or convenient. Once you are at 'the River' (as it is also known) having a car will help you explore the stunningly beautiful countryside. There are bicycle rentals available in town (seasonally), but much of the terrain is very hilly and the roads are narrow without much of a shoulder for getting well out of traffic.
- 1 Armstrong Redwoods State Reserve, 170000 Armstrong Woods Rd, ☏ +1 707 869-2015, fax: +1 707 869-5629. Visitor center, large outdoor amphitheater, self-guided nature trails from 1 to 9 miles long, and a variety of picnic facilities among towering redwoods.
- Segway tour of Armstrong Redwoods, ☏ +1 707 953-3477. Offered by Segway of Healdsburg, this guided tour on, yes, Segways, begins in downtown Guerneville. It takes a back route to Armstrong Redwoods State Preserve. Mondays only. $99 (summer/fall), before discounts.
- 2 Johnson's Beach. Enjoy the beach on a sunny day.
- Russian River Jazz and Blues Festival (Johnson's Beach). An annual festival held at the end of the summer.
- 3 Pee Wee Golf and Arcade, 16155 Drake Rd (Just south of bridge.), ☏ +1 707 869-9321. Daily 11AM-10PM; opens after Easter (call to verify). 36 holes of miniature golf in a somewhat surreal landscape
- Rio Nido Pee Wee Golf (Between Rio Nido Road and Canyon 7, next to the homeowner’s park.). F Sa 6-9PM during the summer. Miniature golf in the redwoods; popcorn, candy, ice cream, and sodas at the snack bar; a clubhouse with pin ball machines, a foosball table, and other games for kids.
- 4 Sunset Beach.
Shopping in Guerneville is like walking back in time. With eclectic shops, art galleries, wine cellars, and antique stores you are sure to find what you are looking for. The 5 & 10 Store on Main Street sells treats, candies, games and more. At Etc. Etc. you'll find one-of-a-kind items from around the world.
Groceries can be purchased at the local farmers market, organic food store or Safeway. Every weekend sports a small flea market and local artists can be seen all over town.
- [formerly dead link] Carport Gallery (Russian River Studios), 15098 Old River Rd, ☏ +1 707-869-8129. Unique art gallery featuring fine art from local and regional artists; rotating exhibits include paintings, sculpture, glass mosaics; and jewelry. Prices generally range from under $50 up to $1500.
- Applewood Inn, 13555 Highway 116, toll-free: +1-800-555-8509. Upscale, a la carte, entrees $22-32.
- Main Street Bistro, 16280 Main St, ☏ +1 707 869-0501.
- Russian River Inn, 16141 Main St, ☏ +1 707 869-0481. The Swedish pancakes are prepared in a traditional manner. Good food.
- Russian River Pub. On River Road between Hacienda and Guerneville, serves great pub grub with a view of the hills from its outdoor patio.
- 1 Korbel Winery, 13250 River Rd, ☏ +1 707 824-7000. Offers an entertaining and educational tour of its champagne cellars. Champagne tasting is free after the tour, and a gourmet deli offers good choices for a lunch under the redwoods.
- 2 Stumptown Brewery, 15045 River Rd, ☏ +1 707 869-0705. Daily, 11AM-2PM (grill is open 11AM-9PM). Around a dozen local beers on tap, most of them from this brewery. of their own, plus some other local brews. The Stumptown Grill is cash only; there is an ATM inside.
- 3 Rainbow Cattle Company, 16220 Main St (River Road becomes Main Street within downtown Guerneville), ☏ +1707 869-0206. Daily, noon-2AM. Famous gay bar.
- 1 The Stavrand Russian River Valley, 13555 Highway 116, ☏ +1-707-869-9093, firstname.lastname@example.org. This luxury 21-room property, formerly the Applewood Inn, is set on six acres just south of downtown Guerneville. In addition to its pool and hot tub area, the property has a guests-only restaurant. Bikes, kayaks, and inner tubes are complimentary for guests. $385-725.
- AutoCamp Russian River, 14120 Old Cazadero Rd, toll-free: +1 (888) 405-7553. Airstream glamping on the Russian River, in a grove of redwoods.
- 2 Cottages On River Road, 14880 River Road, ☏ +1 707 869-3848, email@example.com.
- 3 Creekside Inn & Resort, 16180 Neeley Rd, ☏ +1 707 869-3623, toll-free: +1-800-776-6586. $90-210.
- Fern Grove Cottages, 16650 Highway 116, ☏ +1 707 869-8105. A variety of nice accommodations. $89-300.
- Highlands Resort, 14000 Woodland Dr, ☏ +1 707 869-0333, fax: +1 707 869-0370. Individual cabins with fireplaces - some with kitchens or oversized soaking tubs, and all with private porches. Peaceful gay and lesbian (straight-friendly) retreat. Most cabins have been remodeled. Clothing optional sunbathing at pool. Seasonal camping. Massage Therapist available for outdoor massage in a grove of redwood trees (weather permitting) or indoors. Three pet-friendly cabins. 2 blocks to town. Day Use ($5-10) includes use of the pool, barbecue, TV lounge & grounds (only clothing optional at the pool). No restaurant or bar. $95-200.
- West Sonoma Inn & Spa, 14100 Brookside Ln, ☏ +1 707 869-2874. From $194.
Guerneville is about 90 minutes north of San Francisco.
|Routes through Guerneville|
|Jenner ← Monte Rio ←||W E||→ Forestville → Petaluma|