- 1 Tourist Information (Visitor Center), Ābeļu 2, ☏ . Information on attractions in the region is available from the local tourist association office.
1188.lv provides up-to-date bus and train schedules, route planner and prices.
Several buses leave from Riga each day to Gulbene. Trip times vary, but it generally takes about 3 hr.
There is a train connection between Gulbene and Riga, but fewer services run than by bus.
Exploring on foot is the preferred choice. The narrow gauge railway station is just 1 km north of the centre.
- 1 Gulbene Municipality History and Art Museum (Gulbenes novada vēstures un mākslas muzejs), Brīvības iela 10, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Orthodox Church of St. Alexander of Neva, Vecstameriena, Stameriena parish, Gulbene region (10 km east of the centre), ☏ .
- 1 Gulbene-Alūksne narrow gauge railway (Bānītis), Viestura iela 16G, ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. 33 km in length, connecting Alūksne and Gulbene, this is the only narrow gauge railway in the Baltics
- Green Market, Jaunatne park, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Every 3rd Saturday from 9:00 – 13:00. Handmade and homemade goods.
There are a number of cafés around town, including:
- Manēža, Brivibas 18, ☏ .
- Amro, Dzelzceļa 8, ☏ .
- Schwanenburg, O. Kalpaka 27A, ☏ .
- Fiesta, Brivibas 82, ☏ .
- Flora Magnolija, Rigas 63, ☏ .
- Jesēnija, Rigas 65, ☏ .
- Pie Kamīna, Rigas 62, ☏ .
- Pie Rūtas, Brivibas 35, ☏ .
- Rankas Sieri, O. Kalpaka 29, ☏ .
- Marķīzs, Brivibas 106, ☏ .
- Kante, Miera 15A.
- Pienenīte, Rigas 31, ☏ .
- Also, check out the following: http://www.visitgulbene.lv/piedavajums/guest-houses/
- 1 Depo, Viestura iela 16G (just near by the famous narrow gauge railway station), ☏ , , ✉ email@example.com. Great opportunity to spend a night at historical atmosphere at the depot. They offer room in an ascetic relaxation premises of locomotive crews, but also in the luxurious parlour car of Estonian Communist Party leaders, besides camping and picnic sites in the garden next to the depot. They also have a kitchen you can use, and 28 Beds all together. From €8.
- 2 Vecgulbenes muiža, Brīvības iela 18, ☏ , , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Alūksne – The destination of the narrow gauge train and located at the picturesque Lake Alūksne.
- Cesvaine – This nearby village of is home to the eclectic 19th century Cesvaine Palace, and ruins of medieval castles. The oldest palace in the country, its magnificent landscapes of pine forests are cut by Gauja river.
- Lake Lubānas – In the far southeastern corner of Vidzeme. The largest lake in Latvia by area, but also one of the shallowest ones with average depth just 3 m. A great place for windsurfing and under-ice fishing in winter.
- Madona – A scenic town surrounded by hills, forests and lakes, and a winter sports centre.