Gumeracha is a town in the Adelaide Hills region of South Australia most known for the Big Rocking Horse, one of the Big things in Australia. Located about an hour northeast of the capital city Adelaide, it's a popular day trip location for Adelaide families to check out a local icon.
Gumeracha is a small town (roughly 800 people in the 2016 census) that, like a lot of Australia's small towns, built an identity for itself through its local Big Thing. The town is a necessary stop for anyone interested in that uniquely Australian form of kitsch.
Gumeracha is 37 km (23 mi) from Adelaide's city centre via Lower North East Road.
A coach service operates between Gumeracha and Tea Tree Plaza Interchange in Modbury, a northeast suburb of Adelaide.
- 1 The Big Rocking Horse & Toy Factory, 452 Torrens Valley Rd, ☏ . 9am-5pm. Gumeracha's claim to local fame, the Big Rocking Horse is one of the more eccentric Big Things throughout the country. The 18 m (59 ft) horse is the focal point of a tourist trap including a toy factory and local wildlife park. Free to visit, $2 apiece to climb the horse, enter the wildlife park, or feed the animals.
- 2 Federation Park, Albert St, ☏ . A stopping point for drives through the Hills, with a visitor information centre, barbecue facilities, toilets, sports courts, and a playground.
- 1 The Good Pantry Est. 2017, 35 Albert St, ☏ . 7am-3pm (Mon-Fri), 8:30am-3pm (Sat-Sun). A home-style cafe with all-day breakfast popular as a stopping point during Hills drives. Vegan and gluten-free options.
- 1 Applewood Distillery, 24 Victoria St, ☏ . 12pm-5pm (Mon-Thurs), 12pm-6pm (Fri-Sun). A more adult attraction than the horse, the Applewood Distillery is an esteemed gin distillery specializing in native flora.
Gumeracha is mostly a day trip location due to its proximity to Adelaide, but options are available for people who want to spend the night.
- 1 Gumeracha Hotel, 30 Albert St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The primary hotel in town. Each room has a queen bed, TV, free WiFi, and electric blankets.